Some Siri/Maps Speculation, Theories and Questions

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by CavemanUK, Jun 19, 2012.

1. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

I've been wondering about the licensing and resources Apple requires for the new features in Siri and Maps. I'm in the UK so this is mainly about that but its general enough to be about every region.

Siri
    Siri is obviously touted as pulling data from Wolfram Alpha, Yelp and other sources but I'm wondering if Apple makes the data requests on the fly or weather they have some kind of snapshot of the data to work with. The reason I wonder this is because in the beta there are nowhere near the same amount of search results found in yelp that would be found in the yelp app. Its possible the beta is just pulling from a small data resource for testing purposes and they'll switch to the live data down the line.

Maps
    There's a lot of speculation and wondering about where Apple is getting its map data from and most people seem to think that its from TomTom because of the mention in the maps app. Again, if this is true, then I hope the app is using a small data chunk because the maps are nowhere near as detailed or accurate as my 5 year old TomTom device. It seems to me that Apple might have only licensed the route planning technology. The algorithm bit that plots the quickest way through the map data. The map data looks so basic at the moment that its hard to believe it came from TomTom.

Also, currently Siri's pronunciation of words is awful. I live in Wales so most areas are welsh names. in IOS 5 Siri seemed to cope quite well with the names. For example, I live near a town called Abergele (pronounced Abergelly) Siri now says Abergeel. I wondered if the google map data siri was using previously included a hidden translation to help text-to-speech apps pronounce properly. hopefully Apples maps will work in the same way.

---

These are just thoughts for interesting discussion. I know its beta 1 and everything can change.. im not judging, assuming or having a go.. I just like the fun in trying to understand how it all works... I would love other peoples thoughts on this

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

I'm pretty sure the maps come from TomTom. Both Google Maps and TomTom spell my street incorrectly, but google have now fixed it. The fact that the spelling error is present in iOS 6 Maps suggests they're using TomTom data.

3. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

4. CavemanUK thread starter macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Maybe they are only using a portion for the time being. I live in a countryside area and the road outside is named correctly in my tomtom yet in apple maps it generalises the road as "Holyhead road and snowdon mountain range".

----------

I just wonder if it could interpretted that they mean routing data rather than map data. Clearly the map data being used in the beta is incomplete even compared to tomtom.

5. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

I'll be honest I haven't tested it yet but when I type in directions from my home to my wife's work which is 26 miles away the map looks very like what TomTom offers me. I'll try and test it tomorrow and report back.

6. CavemanUK thread starter macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

I did a route from Rhyl to Chester in both tomtom and apple maps. A couple of times the apple maps route wanted to send me through an estate or crescent then back onto the main road.. Imagine driving down a straight road and it suddenly wants you to turn left round a crescent and back onto that same straight road 250yds up the road. Completely unnecessary detour. Could just be a bug in the implementation or it could be evidence the map data and/or the routing algorithms are not the live versions used by tomtom in there own software.

7. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

I'm interested to see how this pans out. Even TomTom isn't great in the estate I live in. I type in my postcode and it's Unnamed Road. The Estates been here for 8 years so dunno why it's not been mapped properly