Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
My friend dropped his iPad 2 and iPad 3 on pavement and guess what? iPad 2 not a damn scratch but the 3 shattered. Take what you will out of it.

What you have there is a paired sample of size one. Talk to me when you've dropped at least thirty of both under the same conditions.

AppleBecks

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2007
Article Inaccurate

I went round & round with Switcheasy about their Canvas case not fitting & the smart cover feature not working. They revised the Canvas & sent me the updated version (without clasp). While waiting for the new product to arrive I picked up the Élan Folio. The article by Mark talks about polarity on the new iPad & how the change should make it so that when the cover is flipped to the back it doesn't accidentally trigger the auto off/on feature. When the folio cover is flipped to the back the "new iPad (3)" still turns off. I received my updated canvas & it seems thus far to be working well.

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Mine doesn't even get warm unless I crank the backlight, which I never have a need to do, it charges fine and the smart cover from my dad's iPad 2 works fine on it.

Maybe they used to just throw the magnets in randomly, and some had the correct polarity, while others didn't. When they decided to make the change, they may have started to pay attention to the polarity for the first time.

Just a guess.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I bought my smart cover when iPad 2 launched (black leather). It does not get much older than that. I have never had a problem with this smart cover shutting the screen off or turning it on when using with iPad 2 or with my new iPad (3).

Kinda wish it did have the problem so I could get a shiny new smart cover, but you can't argue with something that just works.

----------

Frankly, I have a bigger complaint with Apple and calling it the 'new iPad' and something less confusing like 'iPad 3' or 'iPad HD'...

After the stink over the name "iPhone 4S", I am pretty sure Apple has decided to completely dodge that bullet in the future. Too many whiny brats complained about the "iPhone 4S" name saying "why isn't Apple giving us the iPhone 5?!?!?!" My money says the next iPhone will be "The new iPhone" and that will be it -- just "The new iPad".

We don't have iPod Touch 4 or MacBook Air 3 or iMac 11, we don't need an iPhone 12gs in six years.

I am one person who is glad they have dropped the suffixes on the names. Simply put "(nth generation)" on the website. From a marketing perspective its so much easier than coming up with new suffixes each year.

If you think about it, most folks called the iPhone 4 the "iPhone 4G" which was especially wrong. Many folks actually thought it supported 4G networks. I love the simplification.

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009
My new iPad doesn't have an overheating issue. It takes longer to charge but it was never a problem because I've always let it recharge overnight. My old black leather smart cover works perfectly on the new iPad. C'mon, give me a break! This is getting ridiculous! Oh wait, this is a rumor site... Nevermind.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Hi everyone! :)

My article is accurate, a fact that has been confirmed by several third-party case manufacturers. Apple switched to using a polarity-sensitive sleep/wake sensor in the new iPad.

With regard to older genuine Apple Smart Covers that still work correctly with the new iPad... count yourself lucky. A lot of people on multiple forums are reporting that they weren't so lucky. It all depends whether those early Smart Covers were made with the one magnet in question facing the "right" way or the "wrong" way. It appears to be luck of the draw.

As for any third-party cases that are sleeping the new iPad correctly but also sleeping it when the cover is flipped around to the back, please contact your case manufacturer. Something is going on with that case due to the size and/or position and/or strength of that magnet.

Mark - the fun with magnets guy :)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
It's annoying. My Yoobao Leather Smart Cover that I had on my iPad 2 fits perfectly but it no longer turns on/off the screen. I hoping the new ones are released soon.

That's odd. My Yoobao works great on the new iPad 3. I even blogged about it working, I was so pleased! What revision are you using? 1, 2, or 3? Mine is a revision 3.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
That's odd. My Yoobao works great on the new iPad 3. I even blogged about it working, I was so pleased! What revision are you using? 1, 2, or 3? Mine is a revision 3.

I really don't know. I got it for Christmas, so maybe 3? Either way, I saw that a new "iPad 3" version is coming out and I want an orange one.

Mr. Zorg

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
I bought a Smart Cover with my new iPad ... I assumed the cover would magnetically attach to the back when it was open. Instead it just sort of flopped around ...
I have to admit, my reaction was the same. I just assumed it would snap onto the back when you opened it, but no. No huge issue, I didn't return it, but it would be nicer with that detail, IMO.
I kept the smart cover from my iPad 2 for use on my iPad 3 and noticed the same thing. But I SWEAR it used to snap to the back on the iPad 2 - perhaps they left off that magnet for the same reason? Of course, I can't prove it now since I sold my 2 already...

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I got a smart cover when they first went on sale for the iPad 2, works fine on my New iPad and even my housemates non-apple smart cover works too..

Why do some work and some don't ?

If I were guessing...

Perhaps since now the sensors have polarity to them...

There was no standard way that the magnets were installed in the old smart covers...

So it's luck of the draw whether the magnets in a particular iPad2 smart cover are flipped the correct direction?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I get flamed. Nice. Allow me to state some facts for you about the iPad 3:

- its bigger
- it's heavier
- it gets hot
- it won't charge
- covers don't work

What next?

Do you really think we would be talking about these issues under Jobs' watch?

Antennagate was a much worse issue than those - it made the phone impossible to with my left hand.

And the "it won't charge" is an exaggeration. That only applies when the iPad is being pretty heavily loaded. Even my iPhone loses charge while plugged in if I'm tethering over wifi and playing a graphically intensive app at the same time.

----------

I kept the smart cover from my iPad 2 for use on my iPad 3 and noticed the same thing. But I SWEAR it used to snap to the back on the iPad 2 - perhaps they left off that magnet for the same reason? Of course, I can't prove it now since I sold my 2 already...

I'm 99% sure it didn't. Always bugged me with my iPad 2. If it did hold, it was a very weak attraction (perhaps ipad 2 was thin enough that it was able to latch onto the front magnet from the back side).

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

- its bigger
- it's heavier
- it gets hot
- it won't charge
- covers don't work

What next?

You are essentially misrepresenting every issue and making it to be a problem where none existed in the first place. Some as with all the other people intent on blowing things out of proportion. You mean electronic devices aren't allowed to get hot under heavy use? I guess every desktop tower in the world is faulty then. :rolleyes:

Yes, it is thicker and heavier, but these increases are so minimal that the typical user likely won't feel a difference. Same for the hotter bit, I use it all evening and the back was still as cool as ever. It gets a little warm when gaming, but nowhere near the "can fry an egg" rumour. It charges fine overnight, the only caveat is that you shouldn't use it as it is charging (and you won't be, because you are sleeping).

I admit that on the issue of the smart cover, Apple should have at least made an announcement that they were revising the build of the magnets though.

Helais

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012

- its bigger
- it's heavier
- it gets hot
- it won't charge
- covers don't work

What next?

Its barely bigger and heavier...

All electronics gets hot. Its staying within proper operating temperatures and not overheating.

It will charge. If you're not using a correct port 10V it will have a harder time charging when you are doing things that drain a large amount of power because you're using more power than it can draw in.

The covers work fine. Read the article before you come in here and post garbage.

Mr. Zorg

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
I'm 99% sure it didn't. Always bugged me with my iPad 2. If it did hold, it was a very weak attraction (perhaps ipad 2 was thin enough that it was able to latch onto the front magnet from the back side).
You could be right about it being a weak attraction to the front magnet, but I'm pretty sure it did because I'm a fidgeter and I distinctly remember fingering it when I was bored and feeling it snap. Perhaps the combination of my two magnets were just stronger than yours were and now they're not with my iPad 3... But apparently it wasn't designed to do that our yours would have too! :eek:

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2008
Isn't it true that Smart Covers have multiple magnets built in? (If I recall it correctly, iFixit indicated that)
So, there is less than 50% chance that your old Smart Cover will work with the new iPad. I guess it might also lead to the incorrect functioning of the device/cover if some of the magnets are faced into the wrong direction.
Looks like I have to throw away my new Smart Cover (black leather) I bought at the release of iPad 2 and get a new Smart Cover when my new iPad arrives.. :(

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Isn't it true that Smart Covers have multiple magnets built in? (If I recall it correctly, iFixit indicated that)
So, there is less than 50% chance that your old Smart Cover will work with the new iPad. I guess it might also lead to the incorrect functioning of the device/cover if some of the magnets are faced into the wrong direction.
Looks like I have to throw away my new Smart Cover (black leather) I bought at the release of iPad 2 and get a new Smart Cover when my new iPad arrives.. :(

The genuine Apple Smart Covers have more than 20 magnets in them. Of those magnets, just a SINGLE magnet is responsible for triggering the sleep/wake sensor in an iPad 2 or the new iPad. That magnet is round. All of the other magnets are rectangular.

The iPad 2 and the new iPad both have magnets in them too. So that the Smart Cover attaches quickly and aligns correctly, some of the rectangular magnets in the Smart Cover and iPads are arranged in alternating polarity. If a particular magnet in the iPad has the south pole facing up, then the north pole of the corresponding magnet in the Smart Cover will be facing down (opposite poles attract). That is the secret as to how the Smart Cover attaches to the side of the iPad so perfectly aligned every time.

But, again, the ONLY magnet in the Smart Cover that is responsible for sleeping/waking the iPad is the little round one. With the iPad 2 the polarity of that magnet didn't matter because the sensor in the iPad 2 was not polarity specific. The result was that SOME original Smart Covers (made before Apple's "redesign" of the product toward the end of 2011) have that little round magnet reversed, making those Smart Covers' sleep/wake function incompatible with the new iPad (because the new iPad's sleep/wake sensor requires a specific polarity).

As for your black leather Smart Cover, if it is a genuine Apple Smart Cover then you apparently didn't read the updates at the end of my article. MULTIPLE people have reported that Apple was willing to exchange their older genuine Apple Smart Cover for a newer model at no charge. I do not have any personal experience with exchanging one, I'm simply reporting what people around the forums are posting.

PLUS... your black leather Smart Cover might work just fine with the new iPad. Only SOME of them aren't activating the sleep/wake sensor, definitely not all of them.

Mark

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
I bought my smart cover when iPad 2 launched (black leather). It does not get much older than that. I have never had a problem with this smart cover shutting the screen off or turning it on when using with iPad 2 or with my new iPad (3).

Kinda wish it did have the problem so I could get a shiny new smart cover, but you can't argue with something that just works.

I keep trying to get mine to malfunction, but It just won't :/

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Why do some iPad/SmartCover combinations not work? Aren't they all the same? I have the Product (RED) SmartCover (for a few months now) and it works perfect with my new iPad.

I got a smart cover when they first went on sale for the iPad 2, works fine on my New iPad and even my housemates non-apple smart cover works too..

Why do some work and some don't ?

Wirelessly posted

Same here. My smart cover was purchased last year when the ipad2 first came out and it works perfectly fine with the new iPad.

All of these comments that their covers work. Define work. The article states that the new iPad was redesigned and the cover no longer causes the iPad to turn off when the cover is closed. How can it be that some covers cause the new iPad to turn off, but others do not?

My friend dropped his iPad 2 and iPad 3 on pavement and guess what? iPad 2 not a damn scratch but the 3 shattered. Take what you will out of it.

So your friend didn't learn from the first drop that he should put his iPad in some type of protective carrier such as a neoprene sleeve? How many phones has he broken by dropping them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.