Some software makers seem to be reluctant to update to retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by walkie, Mar 10, 2013.

1. walkie macrumors 6502

Hi all, as the title suggests some applications are still not retina updated, 8 months from the launching day have passed and I don't really know whether is Apple's fault not providing a solid retina framework or some software makers cannot (or are reluctant) to keep the pace of Apple's updates, for example this is the case of NetBeans: http://netbeans.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=215141, the current version looks terribly blurry (even fonts) nothing seems to fix it and the only solution for NetBeans is go back to Java 1.6 VM, on the other hand we have quality software that is really retina updated and we also have software that even though they look acceptable good on a retina display are plagued with bugs, choppiness etc... Recently we saw Google also brought up a new high resolution laptop showing to us this is the future. The rMBP is a very small market niche and it seems that we need some few years more to get a solid support from all software makers, what do you think about it?.

2. leman macrumors 604

As far as making software HiDPI ready, Apple's API is probably the easiest to work with. For most applications, all what needs to be done is creating higher-resolution artwork and simply bundling it with an application - the OS will automatically detect the higher-res versions and use them in HiDPI environment. Few applications (one's that use custom rendering) will require code updates.

The problem with NetBeans is that its a Java application and Java UI can have some issues with OS X APIs. You have the same thing with Eclipse (although it uses a different UI toolkit) etc.

3. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, Eclipse uses SWT, but is the same if you were to develop a Swing app, it will look blurry the same as Netbeans does with java 7, anyway I don't like the lack of responsiness of java UI's, but I develop web apps and Java is really good at it. Sadly It seems Oracle is not making any profit out of the java language and they don't really pay enough attention to this.