Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
This afternoon, I noticed some software is running stupidly slow (like beachballing on every click) on my 5,1 Mac Pro, and I think it's due to the CPU upgrade I performed a few weeks ago, to a 6-core E5645.

I noticed two programs in particular were running so slow they were almost unusable, those being Band-in-a-Box (BIAB) and Audacity. I posted about this on the PGMusic (the company that makes BIAB) forums, and got no response, so... I tried reinstalling both BIAB and Audacity, to no avail, and that's the reason why I think the CPU upgrade is to blame.

Any ideas if this is actually true? Maybe it's a quirk in the E5645, I have no idea. Running the Mac Pro 5,1 under OpenCore Legacy Patcher with Monterey 12.6.4.

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
How was the upgrade performed? Did you buy a new tray and just insert it (replacing your old one), or did you do the delid/replace actual cpu and reseat heat sink etc... method?

Also, have you checked if all of your RAM is seated correctly?

Reactions: bmoraski

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
This afternoon, I noticed some software is running stupidly slow (like beachballing on every click) on my 5,1 Mac Pro, and I think it's due to the CPU upgrade I performed a few weeks ago, to a 6-core E5645.

I noticed two programs in particular were running so slow they were almost unusable, those being Band-in-a-Box (BIAB) and Audacity. I posted about this on the PGMusic (the company that makes BIAB) forums, and got no response, so... I tried reinstalling both BIAB and Audacity, to no avail, and that's the reason why I think the CPU upgrade is to blame.

Any ideas if this is actually true? Maybe it's a quirk in the E5645, I have no idea. Running the Mac Pro 5,1 under OpenCore Legacy Patcher with Monterey 12.6.4.
E5645 is almost the slowest CPU that you can install onto the cMP.

What's your original CPU?

You mentioned "this afternoon". Is this problem only happen since this afternoon? Or this problem exist right after you "upgraded" your CPU?

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
How was the upgrade performed? Did you buy a new tray and just insert it (replacing your old one), or did you do the delid/replace actual cpu and reseat heat sink etc... method?
I just took out the old CPU and threw in the new one. No delidding required, because it's a 5,1.
E5645 is almost the slowest CPU that you can install onto the cMP.
I know, and the only reason why I did it is because I just happened to have a spare E5645, so I figured it'd be an upgrade in terms of cores. It is actually a good amount faster than the old Nehalem crap that was in there before, in terms of Cinebench scores. Hopefully this is temporary and I can get an X5690 soon enough. From the looks of it (just looking at Cinebench), the X5690 would be AT LEAST 2.5x faster.
What's your original CPU?
The god-awful Nehalem-based W3530, which was so slow under Monterey it was almost unusable.
You mentioned "this afternoon". Is this problem only happen since this afternoon? Or this problem exist right after you "upgraded" your CPU?
I upgraded the CPU a few weeks ago but didn't notice the issue (because I didn't use the software) until this afternoon.

EDIT: the thing I might try which just MIGHT result in improved performance, by a VERY SMALL AMOUNT, would be to take one RAM stick out and run it in true triple-channel fashion.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I know, and the only reason why I did it is because I just happened to have a spare E5645, so I figured it'd be an upgrade in terms of cores. It is actually a good amount faster than the old Nehalem crap that was in there before, in terms of Cinebench scores. Hopefully this is temporary and I can get an X5690 soon enough. From the looks of it (just looking at Cinebench), the X5690 would be AT LEAST 2.5x faster.

The god-awful Nehalem-based W3530, which was so slow under Monterey it was almost unusable.

I upgraded the CPU a few weeks ago but didn't notice the issue (because I didn't use the software) until this afternoon.

EDIT: the thing I might try which just MIGHT result in improved performance, by a VERY SMALL AMOUNT, would be to take one RAM stick out and run it in true triple-channel fashion.
CineBench is a special benchmarking software which designed to fully utillise the CPU's multi thread ability.

In general, most software out there is still single thread limiting.

You moved from W3530 to E5645, even though the clock speed drops a little bit, but you can still benefit from newer architecture. Which makes the cMP works tiny bit faster for most usage.

Anyway, you said the W3530 is unusable, which I assume including BIAB and Audacity. So, it's hard to tell if E5645 is still too slow for that.

On paper, the E5645's single thread performance is really just tiny bit better than W3530. In real world, the improvement most likely no more than 5%.

In fact, quite a few years back, MVC had a problem of playing 4K videos on the cMP, and end up is the CPU too slow. The problem just disappear after he upgrade the CPU to X5690 / X5680. You may be now in this same situation.

Nowadays, 6 cores isn't a lot. So, I agree whenever possible, go for X5690 / W3690. They aren't that expensive anyway. But if you want to keep the cost as low as possible, and want the cMP as responsive as possible, you may go for the X5677.

The X5677 can works very well in the dual processor model. Total 8 cores definitely enough for most daily usage. On the single processor model, only 4 cores may not be that good. However, it's total processing power is actually just few % lower than the 6 cores E5645, but single thread performance is about 40% higher. If you are happy with the E5645's multi thread performance. Then X5677 may also works well for you.

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
No, I haven't. But stupid question: will that screw up OCLP?
It might reset the blessed boot disk and or csrutil. Worst case scenario is you run OCLP program again.

I recall that doing a pram rest was mandatory after swapping CPUs, but you will have to search this forum for the reasons why.

Reactions: rm5

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
It might reset the blessed boot disk and or csrutil. Worst case scenario is you run OCLP program again.

I recall that doing a pram rest was mandatory after swapping CPUs, but you will have to search this forum for the reasons why.
Not mandatory, but just recommended because sometime the RAM may run in a lower clock speed, which can be fixed by NVRAM reset.

Reactions: krakman

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
PRAM reset didn't help BTW. At this point, it's probably a CPU issue, and I just need to upgrade to a better one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.