Some Software Unable to Connect Online, What's Blocking Me?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aleXXXps, May 17, 2011.

1. aleXXXps macrumors member

So I was messing around and installing some programs on my computer, including peer guardian 2. I uninstalled it completely and see that it doesn't come up anymore in my list of running processes. However, some programs, such as Steam and a few other games that I have, will not connect online and tell me that I have no active internet connection. My internet works absolutely fine! It is only a few programs telling me this, which means that something is still blocking my internet connection on a few ports or to certain programs. How do I find out what it is? I'm so annoyed to the point that I may just reinstall my OS and start from scratch. Ah!!!!

It's not a router issue as these programs used to connect a few days ago, and I didn't change anything.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you sure? The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

3. aleXXXps thread starter macrumors member

As far as I can tell, every trace of peer guardian is gone! My torrent programs and such work fine still, just not steam and a few games.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Use the instructions in the link I posted to see if any Peer Guardian-related files/folders are left behind.

5. aleXXXps, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

aleXXXps thread starter macrumors member

Pretty sure it is gone. My problem may not even have anything to do with Peer Guardian; I've just been searching forums and saw that it was a common problem in relation to Steam. Peer Guardian is gone, even when I viewed system files I didn't see anything. The mac is only 2 weeks old, so there aren't that many files on it as of now.

***Update***
    I used your uninstall method to uninstall steam and the other 2 games completely, which allowed them to work. I then reinstalled them, and it worked fine. Your method HAD to be done; simply throwing the app into the trash and reinstalling didn't work. Thanks!

6. GGJstudios, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios