Some specific questions about upgrading my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac2x, Feb 6, 2010.

1. mac2x macrumors 65816

This summer (after the semester is over), I'm planning to do some upgrading to my MBP, which is a 15" 5,1. First, I plan to upgrade the RAM to 4 GB with this Crucial kit from newegg, which has been recommended to me already.

Next, I'm planning to bite the bullet and upgrade to Snow Leopard. However, I would really like to keep my current boot drive intact, and simply get a new HD and install SL (I was considering one of these WD models. Any advice/comments on this front would be welcome! :) ). Two key questions I have about this:

1. Can I do that with the $29 Snow Leopard disc?

2. Will I be able to use an enclosure with my old HD, and then use Migration Assistant to move my stuff over? I've never used Migration Assistant, so I'm clueless. :eek:

And one further question: Will I be able to reinstall my iLife '08 apps? I really don't want to buy iLife '09. However, this is a moot point if I end up having to buy the Mac Boxed Set anyway.

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. YES
    2. YES

3. I don't know, but MRoogle will answer that question for you. iLife is not on the SL DVD but on the gray restore DVDs.

3. mac2x thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you so much! I'm relieved that I can use the $29 disc, and Migration Assistant to do what I want. :)

Yes, I would be getting iLife '08 from my Leopard restore discs. My question is whether they will run on SL. I'll search MRoogle.