Some strange backlight symptoms...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jjmullz, Nov 23, 2010.

1. jjmullz macrumors newbie

Nov 23, 2010
    Last night my MacBook (Black late 2008 version I think) began to show some very strange symptoms.

The screen which has previously showed no signs of problem lost its backlight. There has been no impact/liquid incident of any nature.

I turned the unit off and left it for a few hours before turning at back on again - at which point the backlight came on for a fraction of a second before failing again (same happens when I try again.) I can still see the screen display in the right lighting (at a strain) so I know the display itself is working fine.

Playing around with the brightness settings using the keyboard yields some strange results as I drop the brightness down to 0 and then bring it back up to 1 bar the backlight revives itself for a couple of seconds, occassionally longer however during this period of revival the screen has a slight flicker as though it is struggling to stay lit before failing again. This happens every time - I can quickly press brightness up/down and it will continue to behave the same way.

I am struggling to determine what could be the cause of this issue, surely if it were just a faulty connection then toying with the brightness would have no bearing on whether the screen is lit or not? Or is that misguided?

I noticed a few others had experienced similar problems as a result of some sort of impact/spillage but as I said, in my case there has been nothing of the sort.

I'd really appreciate some help as to where my problem stems from.

Thanks in advance all.
  2. Sonico73 macrumors newbie

Nov 24, 2010
    I have the same issue I read that was the inverter I changed it my self but still the same Im looking for more answer! if I now something else I let you know!
  3. jjmullz thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 23, 2010
    Thanks - that would be very useful.

I've heard of a number of people who had thought it was an inverter issue, replacing it to no avail.

Is it definitely a hardware issue do we think?
  4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Jan 20, 2010
    Pretty sure it's a hardware issue as you get the issue before any software has been loaded. In theory, it could be a weird issue with the firmware, but I doubt it.

But, to make positively sure, have you done the SMC and PRAM resets?
  5. jjmullz thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 23, 2010
    I'm not even sure what those are!?

Could you point me somewhere that will talk me through those steps? That'd be great!