Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
An extra 0.6 seconds. Oh the horror of Face ID.

Also don’t capitalize words in the middle of the sentence.

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
More importantly, their review

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-x,review-4800.html

I guess it's positive? All these reviews are funny that way :D

It is, but there is a single MAJOR thing (that i expected) that would make me get a Pixel if it was not for Android: low light performance: the Pixel 2s are just incredible, and that is an area where it's not a matter of getting something "a little bit better", performance in high light is basically the same across all phones, low light it's an area where it makes the difference from having a memory vs. not having it.

And the Pixel is far, far, far better.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
It is, but there is a single MAJOR thing (that i expected) that would make me get a Pixel if it was not for Android: low light performance: the Pixel 2s are just incredible, and that is an area where it's not a matter of getting something "a little bit better", performance in high light is basically the same across all phones, low light it's an area where it makes the difference from having a memory vs. not having it.

And the Pixel is far, far, far better.

What do you mean low light performance?

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
An extra 0.6 seconds. Oh the horror of Face ID.

Also don’t capitalize words in the middle of the sentence.

Well unless it’s something like I’m, or the name of a place/product/country/person.

Significant words in movie/book/musi...... Oh wait, my grammar police license has expired :p

No harm, I just couldn’t resist a laff ini’t ;)

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
What do you mean low light performance?

Technically I mean shooting in low light conditions, emotionally i mean getting or not getting that memory at a party or a dinner with friends.

The key point with low light performance is this: it's not that you get a slightly better or worse picture, it's that you get it or not.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Technically I mean shooting in low light conditions, emotionally i mean getting or not getting that memory at a party or a dinner with friends.

The key point with low light performance is this: it's not that you get a slightly better or worse picture, it's that you get it or not.
You mean taking a photo in low light conditions? RAM doesn't change speed in low light, neither does CPU, or NAND memory, so performance is not an issue. If you're a serious photographer get a camera. Mobile phone cameras make do but seriously should never be considered as the be all/end all

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013

It's funny, I hadn't a clue, but I probably should have. I don't ever use the camera except for selling stuff......I know.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012

Your thread title is talking about Face ID, yet you are talking about taking pictures in low light areas, totally off topic.

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
You mean taking a photo in low light conditions? RAM doesn't change speed in low light, neither does CPU, or NAND memory, so performance is not an issue. If you're a serious photographer get a camera. Mobile phone cameras make do but seriously should never be considered as the be all/end all

Thank you very much, I’m not talking about professionally shooting in low light, I’m talking at exactly what smartphone cameras are meant to do: grab shots on the fly. I don’t go out at night with friends carrying a 4k$ full frame DSLR you know?

And while the differences among smartphones in standard conditions are basically negligible, in low light the difference is between a fuzzy black screen and an actual memory.

It’s not hard to get.

The Pixel 2 destroys the competition on this one.
[doublepost=1509558429][/doublepost]
Your thread title is talking about Face ID, yet you are talking about taking pictures in low light areas, totally off topic.

That’s because I am answering to questions, you know? but thank you for keeping the agenda.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Thank you very much, I’m not talking about professionally shooting in low light, I’m talking at exactly what smartphone cameras are meant to do: grab shots on the fly. I don’t go out at night with friends carrying a full frame DSLR you know?

And while the differences among smartphones in standard conditions are basically negligible, in low light the difference is between a fuzzy black screen and an actual memory.

It’s not hard to get.

The Pixel 2 destroys the competition on this one.
Maybe it does, but from what I've seen an heard the Pixel 2's screen is horrible. So win some lose some. If camera in the bedroom is more important get a Pixel, if screen is more important get anything else.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The section in the linked review about the screen brightness comparison is way off. The Galaxy S8 gets 1000 nits brightness while the Note 8 is at 1200 nits. They only achieve these levels in auto brightness mode in direct sunlight, but the same is true for the iPhone I believe. Everything else is the same stuff every reviewer is saying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.