Some things I wish iCal could do...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JW008, Dec 2, 2007.

1. JW008 macrumors 6502

...or maybe it does do them and I'm an idiot.

So I've been using iCal more and more since getting my iPhone. It's far from perfect, but it's a nice little program.

So I've recently discovered the joy of invitations. Just add the attendees and Mail will send out the invitations.

Now it seems to me that once somebody clicks on the iCal event it should show up in our respective iCals that we're attending. But it doesn't. The event will show up in their calendar view, but it still has a question mark next to their name indicating that iCal doesn't know if they're attending. I assume there is just some bug here and that it should work this way, but just isn't. Can anyone vouch that it's just mine and my friend's iCal that is doing this?

Another thing is that I wish I could edit each set of invitations that I send out. For example, I'd like to bring up the invitation in Mail and add other details, but still have the .ics file so that people can add them to their calendars and still show up in the list of attendees in iCal.

Also, I wish I could add Address Book groups to the attendees in iCal. That would make things a whole easier.

Anyone have any comments for my iCal suggestions or iCal wish lists?

2. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I wish it would remember my search parameters.

3. SavageMac macrumors member

I wish it didn't have the name iCal (why i everything?):D

I wish iCal had bigger squares in the month.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Mine does that too. I think it's just a bug. I have sent to non-mac people,they've clicked "Accept" it's sent back the response as accepted yet they still show up as "?" so it's not you.

That would be a nice "option" although if your adding quite a few attendee's this could get annoying. So maybe the option "Edit Invitation" button or check box would be nice. I can see the benefit to this.

Definitely would like this!!!! Groups/mailing lists would be nice rather than dragging people individually... heck yah a much nicer feature.

Mine are pretty big. Then again it's based on your screen size and resolution probably.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wish it had repeating ToDos. I have things I have to do on a regular basis, and wish to dos had a repeat option. Instead, I have to enter them individually. It stinks.:(

6. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

There are a LOT of things I'd like iCal to be able to do and I'm not talking about crazy advanced features either, just very basic calendar functions! I haven't used leopard's ical, but in previous versions here a just some of the glaring missing features.

1) There was no way to move more than 1 event at a time! Which is a super basic function that all calendar programs should have! For instance, there are many times when I've scheduled a bunch of tasks that have to happen in order, for instance, A) research info B) write report C) send out for proof reading. Now lets say something comes up that makes me start an hour later. There's no way to select events A, B and C and move them all as a group, I have to manually drag each one separately 3 times! Lame!

2) You can't copy and paste events from different calendars! If I have a "work" calendar event and a "family" calendar event and I want to move them both to a different day, I can hold down shift to select them both, and cut them both at the same time, but when I go to paste them on the new day, both events get turned into events in the same calendar group! Lame!

3) etc. many more.

I haven't used leopard's iCal yet, but I'm not hopeful. I've seen to many iCal updates come and go without them changing anything of significance.

Have either of those issues been resolved in leopard?

7. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

is entourage a more powerful calendar and contact application?
    The more I read about iCal, the more it seems like Outlook is a better product.

Getting my iMac in a couple of weeks and still trying to square away contact and PIM management which is my highest priority for use.

8. radikaled macrumors newbie

search and copy events better

I use iCal because I have to...if given a choice of another program that would allow multiple macs to sync schedules, I'd probably switch. But here's hoping Apple will improve it... When searching events, the search results appear in the lower window (which can't be resized or select all copied by the way), when copying multiple events and then pasting into an email for instance - it doesn't make sense. Copied events are not necessarily in date order, also why does it need to include verbiage like "Scheduled" (duh, it's in the calendar, so it's scheduled right?), how about some useful information like the day of the week, "Tuesday". I'm an independent and keep irregular office hours, I often use iCal search for appointment times to provide to clients that wish to come see me, simply copy-pasting options for my clients would be a great time saver if I didn't have to go in and further edit the copied appointments once pasted. Apple needs to throw some more resources at the program, it is lacking in simple logical & useful touches.

9. nathannathaniel macrumors newbie

Hyperlink Phone numbers

I no longer use iCal because of all the things it CANNOT do... and I'm talking really simple things... like I cannot change the size or color of the text in an Event. How dumb and basic is that?

So I use BusyCal which is about 500 times better than iCal, although it looks almost exactly the same as iCal. It also syncs to iCal on my iPhone, so it's very satifactory.

But I wish there was a way to make phone numbers into hyperlinks so that when they sync to my iPhone I could touch dial them. Many of my events contain phone numbers, and when I want to dial them I have to try to remember them from the event, then go to the Phone app to type it in and make the call.

How dumb is that on a touch phone? Duh.

10. jude01 macrumors newbie

Put the phone number in the notes field, the iPhone will recognize it as a phone number and you just have to tap it to call.