Some thoughts about the Jawbone Jawbox Bluetooth speaker

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Thomas Davie, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

I picked this up today on a semi-whim; I'd read a few reviews and was under no illusions as to what I was getting. Passed on portable AirPlay speakers (at least for the house since. I've got both the AppleTV and an airplay enabled receiver. So this is either for when I'm guzzling beer on the back deck, camping, or for work.

How loud is it? I don't work in a noisy environment (in a lab where most of the people work in silence). I won't be able to play at full volume when anyone is there; but played at full volume it easily fills the lab (20 by 60 feet). The lab is dead silent thou most times. At home, where I'm testing it out now, I can easily play it at full volume. Playing it on the ground floor, it can be heard in all rooms. It can sort of be heard downstairs if playing in the main floor. The neighbors would not complain if Ilayed this with a window open at 2 am. Loud enough.

What's the sound quality like? Download the 3d stereo plugin, run that all the time and it won't sound like you're playing on a cell phone/portable. I would not use this for a party, perhaps for 2-3 people, and maybe only as background noise or to isten to some new tunes. By oneself, it sounds pretty good; surprisingly so, even if that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement

What's included in the box; 2 mini > full USB Cale's (4 ft and 2 ft length), wall plug, mini > mini stereo jack.

Does it really move? Yes, at loud volumes. Enough to catch my cat's attention.

Anything bad about it? Yes, the sound get very muddied. I played 'Smells like teen spirit' at full volume. Not pleasant, but it was a low bit rate Ogg encode.

Anything good about it? Really good? Well, an Apple lossless encode of Gimme Shelter sounds stellar. Size is about that of a large can of Red Bull. Audio podcasts sound good. I'm getting about 40 ft tops for wireless distance.

Battery life? Dunno yet, will update this post within a day.

I haven't tried it with games, shoutcast, Skype, radio or my iPhone yet. Will update.

Tom

2. trek360 macrumors 6502

I think i saw this on display the other day at the AT&T store. If you don't mind me asking, what's the pricing?

3. Thomas Davie thread starter macrumors 6502

trek360; I picked it up for $199 Cdn at a store called Future Shop (Canada). Regular price. I'm finding it's extreme portability somewhat of a double edged sword; one of the cats really seems to dislike it. On theotherhand, since it seems to power on with a Bluetooth signal, I think I can see a way to have fun with my dogs while at work :)

Tom

4. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

Got mine from Amazon warehousedeals (where I buy most everything) for $129. It's pretty handy and has good sound.

5. trek360 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the review and info. The price is a bit steep but it's a cool product. As i mentioned I saw it randomly at the store and it caught my eye and ear. Hopefully can find an amazon deal like cool breeze mentioned.

Keep us posted as you break it in a bit more.

6. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

the battery lasts for about ten hours, they're like 150 bucks

7. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

wonder how much a bestbuy employee could pick this bad boy up for

8. Mikes2pads macrumors regular

Marware CEO Hybrid

Like this better than the switch easy styles which are comparable. The switches comes with plugs and screen film, CEO does not but it's more rigid and has protection value the switches does not.

9. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

You have too many tabs open, lol. :D

10. abir macrumors newbie

I bought my jambox in Jan 2011 and I'm still very happy with my purchase.

11. Mikes2pads macrumors regular

Marware CEO Hybrid

Sorry about that. Didn't notice that. What's a tab? A post?
    Ok thanks

12. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

Big fan of my Jambox. Use it almost every day and it sounds pretty damn good IMHO.

13. MajorTCS, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

MajorTCS macrumors regular

I bought one and returned it after a few days. Nice product, BUT, no volume. may go with Bose.

14. Sterne macrumors member

I'm enjoying my Soundlink at work...it was a gift from my wife; I could not have justified the price. It sounds good, though. I have never used the Jawbone.

15. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Had my Jambox since last summer and fully agree with OPs review. For the money, it's a bit underwhelming but overall not bad for size and portability.

16. Thomas Davie thread starter macrumors 6502

I've had my Jambox for 3 days now, and am still pleased with it. The battery life really does approach 10 hours. Don't know for sure as I always plugged it in when going to bed. Distance of reception is good; this morning I heard the Jambox 'wake up' when I was using my iPad on another floor. Portability is decent; I just throw it in my iPad bag, and I'm good to go.

But....it does distort at higher volumes, and when playing bass heavy music tends to walk off flat, smooth surfaces. Cats like that; I don't :)

I don't mind the fact that it doesn't go terribly loud.

Overall, a 7/10 from my perspective.

So, I did what I usually do when something like this happens; order another product. I've got a Logitech wireless boombox that should show up tomorrow, and then I can compare the two side by side.

Tom

17. glen e macrumors 68030

I use a logitech z515 rechargeable BT - works very well for $99. But I use in presentations for vids so not really music. Only hassle is with so much BT going on a a room full of 50 trainees and their phones, it drops BT every now and then, so I keep it wired audio wise to ipad...but batt life is great...

18. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I wanted to score a portable/BT speaker for music at the beach, something to move easily around the house, etc.

Almost pulled the trigger on the Jawbone, but wound up with the Supertooth Disco. Based on some audio sites, people seemed to think the Supertooth had a wider range of response, and had “smoother” highs.

It’s pretty outstanding, a good bit larger than the Jawbone, no phone functions, 3.5mm jack for direct playback. It does have an independent volume control which is kind of handy.

Probably a case of toMAYto <> toMAHto :)

19. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

By the way, I thought I'd mention it since it wasn't a specifically reviewed feature of the Jambox.

The device has a microphone built into it so you can use it as a conference/speaker phone. But in my personal experience, the microphone is far too sensitive to ambient noises to use it this way unless everyone in the room remains absolutely silent during the call. Otherwise it clips out something fierce, resulting in the listener on the other end of the call hearing only fragments of what you are saying. I actually thought mine had an issue and returned it for a second unit, but that one also showed the same performance as a speakerphone. If you are the only person using it, its mostly OK (although listeners have told me it sounds like I'm speaking through a tube), but when there are others gathered round the device, I don't recommend it unless they are all comatose at the time.

20. Thomas Davie, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

Thomas Davie thread starter macrumors 6502

My Logitech wireless boombox showed up at work today, and I've been able to plug it in and pair it with my iPad.

First, very quick impressions; 1) Was $70 cheaper than the Jawbone Jawbox. 2) The sound can go pretty loud, and without distortion. 3) It probably won't fit in my iPad bag (unless I buy a bigger one). 4) The included flip/kick stand prevents it from walking when in use.

I'm going to run some side by side tests with the Jawbone Jambox on Friday when I have some time.

Tom

Side by side, the. Logitech is about 5x the size of the Jawbox (volume wise). One is pocketable, barely; the other one will have to be carried (the Logitech should have a better built in handle, strap attachments or both). Listening to both gives a clear difference; the Logitech can go louder, has better stereo separation and doesn't distort (I haven't pushed it yet, but I am able to listen to 'Dawn' by Eloy at fairly high volumes and it sounds decent. Both have pretty good reception range in my house (bi-level, both stories 680 sq. ft). Either can be anywhere for reception, with only the furnace/laundry area offering dodgy sound. Taking the jawbox with you outside of the house is obviously easier.

I'll update with picture in a few days

21. trek360 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the Logitech info. I like the portability of the jawbone but the sound of the Logitech. Can you use the Logitech as a speakerphone?

22. rsdq macrumors member

As a speakerphone.

I purchased the Jambox too, a couple of weeks ago, to use mostly as a speakerphone in my office.

I have been pestering all my friends on how I sound and have had mostly positive reviews. Some say they know I am on a speakerphone but it sounds fine for a speakerphone.

I don't share my office and I can close my door, so I can't comment on how other sounds may effect the quality of the Jambox.

The one complaint I have, is when you change the volume up or down, the Jambox beeps and interrupts the call. I have sent an email to customer service about this and have fingers crossed that it will become a feature you can turn on and off in future updates

So far so good, I love sitting at my desk with the freedom of not having the earbud in.

I've paired this with my iPad and it sounds good for what it is. I'm sure it will become part of my travel kit as a way of listening to music while on the road or in hotels.

If it looks like something you might use I say get it.

23. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

How are people getting these deals for 120 bucks? They're like 180 new and 150 used/refurb.