Some Thoughts on Lifespan and the MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scartissue, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Scartissue macrumors member

About 4 years ago this month I bought a Rev A 15" Macbook Pro. 2.8Ghz C2D, which I think was the best available CPU at the time, and 4GB RAM, which I think was a step down from a maxed 8GB.

I wondered at the time if I was fooling myself by a) buying the first of the new Unibody line, when 'first revisions' are notoriously more accident prone than their later evolutions, and b) by spending a few hundred £'s extra on a CPU upgrade, given that I'd never seen a computer get past 3 years and still being able to handle new games and software.

Mountain Lion is running perfectly right now, without any juddering or loss of animations. I recently started using Final Cut Pro X, my first time video editing, and it's running pretty much like a dream while crunching through 1080p footage. I haven't installed many new games, and I don't think it would go especially well if I did. But I could handle Portal 2 fine at medium-high ( (not highest) levels of detail and max resolution last year.

I've accepted that even though it's been enough time that I feel like most would say justifies an upgrade, I don't need to. It would save time for video editing, which I'm admittedly starting to do at a semi-professional level, and it would run games better, but those tasks are not unbearably slow right now. They're better than a brand new 13"MBP my Dept bought for video editing purposes can handle them. For me, thinking that this is 4 years (which we all know is a hell of a time in technology terms) I'm a little stunned and pleasantly surprised.

I think I paid around £2k, I think a little over, in the first place (education discount at the time). I've had this thing for about 1500 days. That's £1.33 per day. I can't say if that number would be different if I'd changed this or that about the configuration, but I went as big as I could, and it's doing great.

So if you're umming and ahhing over bumping up some aspects of a near-future purchase, I'd say that there are benefits to going for it. I didn't believe a computer could still be comfortably used 4 years later, now I do. Basically, it's justifiable to think of that extra $300 as an investment that will give you some tangible benefit.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I think what's happening here is less of a factor that you went with the upgraded model and more that you have reasonable expectations from your MBP.

3. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

And don't forget that you likely still have at least £300 of residual value.