Some thoughts on NFC rumors to date

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by cmaier, Sep 7, 2014.

1. cmaier macrumors G3

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Ok now that really painted a picture in my head. I'm excited for Tuesday.

Not important information below~
    My professor actually cancelled class on Tuesday morning and I freaked out! I get to watch the keynote live!! (random thoughts lol)

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm really hoping that the payments don't require NFC or the iPhone 6, but I have a feeling they will. If these Apple-issued POS machines use iBeacons and the A8 uses the same secure enclave the A7 has, it's a possibility. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'd really love to know how this is going to work on the iWatch. OK, it'll have the same hardware -- NFC, Bluetooth, likely LTE, etc. But what about Touch ID? I'm guessing this means it'll be built into the display, which is f#%@ing amazing. The good thing is there's nothing wrong with my 5S and I can wait a little while before getting either a 6 or an iWatch. No stores that I shop at frequently have been listed as supporting iPayments, so it's not like I'll lose much to begin with.

4. jeffe macrumors 6502a

I'm interested to see how Apple's implementation differ's from the rest. The only unique aspect is the fingerprint reader as the competition will not always have that. Beyond that I see everything being very similar...which I don't really see as a bad thing.

----------

Interesting thought....NFC will definitely be supported but perhaps it will not be the only option.

5. cmaier thread starter macrumors G3

I Suspect bar codes via passbook will Also be supported.

6. Shuri macrumors 6502

But isn't NFC about making things more secure by only covering a small area where your information is being sent? If it is safe to broadcast the information anyway (because it is token based) why would you not use Bluetooth, thus being much more convenient than NFC?

7. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

I'm hoping mobile payments and credit cards are supported by iPhone 5,5c and 5s while NFC payments will be a 6 exclusive feature.

8. cmaier thread starter macrumors G3

NFC security has nothing to do with broadcast area. But yes, Bluetooth would work too. the problem is that world wide, many retailers are already set up for NFC. Tough to convince them all to buy new hardware and software.

9. Shuri macrumors 6502

That's a good point. Anyhow there is going to be a transition time even with NFC. Can new Software be installed remotely?

Indeed, Apple could have opted for the less convenient solution, because NFC is already used, cause the success of the system is very dependent on its availability to a broad mass of users..

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

My best guess would be Apple and the other places I've seen mentioned like Disney might support using Bluetooth. But all the places with existing hardware that uses NFC, including McDonalds, make it more likely that the iPhone 5S will get left out.

11. cmaier thread starter macrumors G3

I think you'll be able to pop up a bar code on your screen with a one-time token in a lot of places - that infrastructure already exists in a lot of places, and will work on the 5S.

12. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I hope the 5s doesn't get left in the dust, but the iWatch will probably be a good solution for older devices. I just got my 5s in March and I probably won't upgrade for another 2 years.