Some thoughts wanted re: returning to school

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Jun 27, 2013.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Okay, the thread topic is badly worded, but here goes:

I am currently going to community college as a CS major. I am graduating in December, and am looking at 4-year schools to transfer to.

There's a school I went to a decade ago for a year (2002-2003). At that time I had no idea what I wanted to do, and am new to the whole college thing, so I made some mistakes -- I didn't do very well, to say the last. Majored in Business (yeah... :rolleyes:), took some stupid acting class that I got a C in, and also got a C in Algebra for Management (very embarrassing, that). I also have two W's on the record (I fell into depression my last quarter there, and decided I will be transferring out, so I withdrew from those two classes). My GPA was about 3.3 or so IIRC.

My current GPA at the community college is stellar, my transcript is full of honors that and this, and mathematics is no longer a problem.

Now my question is... should I return? Or should I look elsewhere so I can start with a clean record?

I have some pretty strong reasons for returning, so it's not as easy as you might think.

Thoughts?

2. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Not knowing anything about the educational system wherever you are. I will say that in all likelihood, who you are today, is not who you were ten years ago. If you have the inner strength to revisit the scene of the crime (so to speak) more power to you.

Unless you left behind a massive debt for your previous education or were permanently banned from the place, I can't see a reason not to return.

3. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

the fact that you are asking/entertaining the idea of possibly going back, submit that application,write that Personal statement /essay I'm sure it's going to mean much more picking up where you left off, anyway Good Luck :)

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

How about the body he left buried near the Student Union?:p

Agreed, there is no reason to not go back to that school.

5. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Ha, no bodies. :)

I am more concerned about the long term ramifications of going back as opposed to going to another school. That ~3.3 GPA is going to be a drag on my overall GPA. If I go to another school, I wouldn't have that weight pulling my GPA down.

What I'm really asking is, would that make a lot of difference? Considering that 3.3 is from a year's worth of credits (approximately 30 or so), and I will be transferring about a year and a half's worth of credits from my community college (which means it would not help my GPA at the new school). That means I'll have about two more years' of classes to try to pull the GPA up.

I want a good GPA, obviously, to increase my chances of employment after graduation. I am also considering graduate school at some point down the road, so a good GPA would help with that one too.

What do you guys think?

6. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Seriously? Is that there with you at that school for life? You would think it gets refreshed every once in a while. I'd look at whether you can have that removed from your student record in lieu of your more recent academic efforts.

GPA sounds evil if it can't be modified to reflect your recent efforts. :eek: I'm in Australia, it's a lot fairer here by the sounds of it.