Some Tiger questions.....syncing, core image...

ShadowHunter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
159
0
Fresno
Hey all

Now that Tiger is 'released', maybe some of you that are developers with the GM or pre-release versions of Tiger can talk now. If not, maybe some good discussion from others in the know can answer some questions.

1.) Syncing syncing syncing....very important to me. I know Tiger supports way more phones and better syncing now, and it is coming down to this for me: what cell phones out there now can support my multiple iCal calendars?

2.) My wife has an iBook 1.2Ghz with Mobility 9200 I believe....what sort of hope is there for her in the core image technology?

3.) What sort of performance increases will I see on a PowerBook 15" 1.5Ghz G4?
 

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
616
0
ShadowHunter said:
Hey all

Now that Tiger is 'released', maybe some of you that are developers with the GM or pre-release versions of Tiger can talk now. If not, maybe some good discussion from others in the know can answer some questions.

1.) Syncing syncing syncing....very important to me. I know Tiger supports way more phones and better syncing now, and it is coming down to this for me: what cell phones out there now can support my multiple iCal calendars?

2.) My wife has an iBook 1.2Ghz with Mobility 9200 I believe....what sort of hope is there for her in the core image technology?

3.) What sort of performance increases will I see on a PowerBook 15" 1.5Ghz G4?
1. You're going to have to wait to see it sounds like

2. No coreImage using the graphics card. You will only get CPU based CoreImage which from my understanding lacks some of the special effects that require OSL (OpenGL Shading Language).

3. There was a thread on this, a 1.25ghz G4 PowerBook had almost a 30% increase in speed over Panther using XBench (which they also said might not be all that reliable) .. so with that said expect it to be faster, but depends on a lot of factors and might not be as great as the 30% increase i mentioned
 

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
1,780
20
UK
Massive UI speed increase on the PowerBook due to it supporting Quartz 2D Extreme.

AppleMatt
 

Applespider

macrumors G4
Logik said:
3. There was a thread on this, a 1.25ghz G4 PowerBook had almost a 30% increase in speed over Panther using XBench (which they also said might not be all that reliable) .. so with that said expect it to be faster, but depends on a lot of factors and might not be as great as the 30% increase i mentioned
Now if we only had the definitive answer or whether that 1.25Ghz PB (with Radeon Mobility 9600) supported Core Image or not. I've read multiple threads on various forums with different opinions. Apparently, it did support it on the original WWDC build that was released but someone then suggested that it wouldn't because its clock speed wasn't high enough. I'm currently on the positive 'yes it will' point of view.... but may easily swing back!
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,400
489
NorCal
Daveway said:
Core image and video will only work on PROGRAMABLE video cards. This is why mac minis will not have the "ripple" effect in Tiger.
Pardon my ignorance here, but what exactly is a "programable" video card? And how do you know if you have one?

I'm sure it means that you can customize the video card in some ways, but I just want some clarification.
 

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
616
0
tech4all said:
Pardon my ignorance here, but what exactly is a "programable" video card? And how do you know if you have one?

I'm sure it means that you can customize the video card in some ways, but I just want some clarification.
Each generation of graphics processor gets more and more powerful

to be compliant with CoreImage you need a card capable of Shading Language 2.0, the Mobile 9600 should be good but i cannot comment for sure. If your card supports Shading Language 2.0 then you are supported.

It basically allows you to run "Shaders" in the graphics card, actual code. Meaning it's a programable graphics card. CoreImage offloads the ImageUnits, which contain a Image Kernel, which is a deriviative of OpenGL Shading Language (OSL).
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.