Some Views/Concerns On The iPod touch's "Upgrade"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Pippen Man, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Pippen Man macrumors regular

I am yet to download and install 1.1.3 for my iPod touch, but here is a summary of what I've heard so far about it.

:apple:So far, people have not yet figured out how to downgrade it back to an earlier firmware.
    :apple:The "Find Me" in Google Maps doesn't work that very well, people have noticed that its off by a couple of miles.
    :apple:To download the $20 worth of Apple's crappy apps, you'll probably have to wait. Because...the servers are down! :D
    :apple:iTunes 7.6 allows the *shift* + *Restore* button to find an earlier firmware, but that is for a PC.

And other then that, people mentioned that Steve looked paler, older, yet wiser. Any other comments/concerns?;):apple:

2. infosprt macrumors regular

I don't know about the iPod touch maps but I do know that on the iPhone the Current Position came out exactely right (within feet) of where I was at using WiFi but when using EDGE it found me within a 5 mile radius.

So from what I've seen the WiFi Current Position is better.

3. pab277 macrumors regular

i have the iphone apps on my ipod, dont judge :], but i am wondering how the 'Locate me' feature even works.

I push it but it says it cannot find my location.

like how does it literally figure out 'where i am'
    do i need a connected wifi connection to use locate me?

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

The Locate Me feature in Maps is pretty much right on target for me. The center of the circle was about 5 yards from my front door.

5. Pippen Man thread starter macrumors regular

I believe it uses SkyHooks' WiFi Routers. So, like if you live in a rural area, there probably not going to be one around you. But in the city, you probably have a better chance. Are you connected to a WiFi connection right now? Maps is one of my reasons I would upgrade.

6. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

and richer on the backs of ipod touch owners.

7. Pippen Man thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, one of the only times I've smiled today.;)

8. phreload macrumors newbie

Ipod touch is the best mobile gadget out there today

Hi all.
    I jumped right in and bought the additional apps, as well as downloading the 1.1.3 firmware.

I am surprised to read so many negative or neutral posts. I never saw any promises of this type of upgrade, and this is quite a transformation. The home screen customize feature and the ability of adding wed apps quickly and easily is very slick. I don't take any Ipod enthusiasts seriously who would shun the extra geek points that this delivers. For those who jailbreak their Ipods I would assume that this just means they will be hunting for what else can be added, and I'm sure there will be much more to hear from them. (I am watching to see something irresistible and then I'll jailbreak too.)

For the apps, well for sure I would like some fairness, as I don't think people who bought for the Christmas season got a fair deal. That being said, $20 is small change and I would rather have it right away than wait till next year's bunch of Ipods come out.

Google maps are kick ass and are worth $20 alone. For some people, this could be the single biggest selling point after the music player. I have to laugh about the posts about the location finder. While I like the idea of being able to query where I am, I don’t bloody need my Ipod to tell me where I am. (The Skyhook database can guess where you are by which hot spots are within your range. Without the accuracy of adding in edge wireless towers like the Iphone has, this feature is a novelty only.)

Email works and is a very welcome feature, but I have yet to enable my pop account successfully.

Weather is not going to change my life but I still tip my cap to how nice it works.

Notes are great but lack customization options and the ability to copy off the Ipod. A big miss on Apple’s part here. What is the point of having a WIFI device with notes that are unable to sync or otherwise move to another device?

Stocks is useless to me, and I would bet it is useless to 99% of Ipod touch owners. I’m sure everyone who would want this has better ways to monitor their stocks.

Conclusion? Go and get your software. Ipod touch is the best mobile gadget out there today. My girls are preschool and they love to use the touch screen. All my buddies are calling me for reasons to tell their wives why they should have one too. My wife HATES the time I spend tinkering with it which proves it rocks. I love the way strangers crane their necks to get a glimpse of me using it. Thank you Apple!