Some walking around images from around town. Please comment or criticize

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dr.devious, May 21, 2009.

1. dr.devious macrumors regular

dr.devious

[​IMG]
    #2 Someone's Book at the Park
    [​IMG]
    #3 Something from the railyard
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Informal compositions of everyday objects is about the hardest genre of photography. The images have to "work" as abstract art to be good. Most people don't even try.

It's like trying to re-create Edward Westin's green pepper series, harder than it looks.

I think the book and the two trees work. The text on the yellow engine is just documentary and the bench I can't figure out.

3. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Washed out mid-day light, nothing of interest in the entire left side of the frame, wires leading the eye nowhere, an interesting splash of red at the top right, but nothing there to look at and no really deep colors to offset it elsewhere in the image.

4. rouxeny macrumors 6502

For me, a good photo has to answer the "Why?" question, specifically, why should I care about this picture? Is it technically unique? Is the subject something very dramatic? Does it elicit some emotion in me? Is there a story that the picture can immediately convey? These aren't easy questions to answer, and even harder to answer well.

Of your four pictures, the one that comes the closest for me is actually the book on the bench. I'm sure the subject of the book was choosen intentionally, however, there needs to be another element in the shot to really complete the story. I'm not entirely sure what that would be, without being too contrived or awkward. The way it is right now though, it's just an upside down book on a bench.

Keep shooting!

5. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

see, its things like that first one which beginners like, because of the nice depth of field - which yeah, the DOF does look very good there!
    but, alas it is a bit of a pointless photo :)
    you definetley have good potential there though :D