Some ways to distinguish whether your adapters are original

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lee50539310, May 4, 2011.

1. lee50539310 macrumors newbie

I sell original adapters over 2 years, hope these suggestions can help you find the right adapters.

First, some words I use.
    ①Original:
    Someone call it genuine. Apple don’t produce adapter by itself, so they find OEM(Original Equipment Manufacturer). Till now I know 3 companies make adapters for Apple, they are Delta/Liteon/Samsung. Some customers like Delta, they think that its quality is the best.

②Replacement:
    These adapters also called high-copy, they are made by other factories without Apple’s authorisation. Too many factories produce these adapters in China, a wide difference between these adapters. Generally speaking, 2 kinds, Grade A and Grade B.

Factories in China like calling their replacement as OEM, it’s not right. I will not discuss Grade B, quality is a big problem in my opinion.

③Refurbish:
    Like Forrest said “You never know what you are going to get.” Most time, refurbish means original circuit but replacement case. If you are lucky, the circuit is new not repair. But always they are the broken circuit, people repair them and add new case.
    I know some sellers in US also sell used original adapters as refurbish, that’s better.

2. lee50539310, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011

lee50539310 thread starter macrumors newbie

Let’s distinguish these adapters:
    1)weight and apperance
    Origianl: 60W about 230g, 85W about 300g
    2 apple logos on each surface, soft white color, words is clear, and AC input side has a metal hat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Replacement: 60W about 210g, 85W about 270g
    Most times without apple logo to avoid Customs. Pure white colors. Words on the bottom is very simple and a little dim. AC input side is a plastic hat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Refurbish:I only sell one time refurbish with new original circuit and replacement cases.If seller use original used/broken circuit and original case, hard to distinguish if don’t open it. Most time you can find scratches on the suface and the gap between cases are larger.

Someone use high-copy cases, if don’t check carefully you can’t find the difference. Also soft white but words are not smooth as original.

3. lee50539310 thread starter macrumors newbie

2)Serial Number
    Original:
    As I say before, 3 companies make adapters for Apple. Delta/Liteon/Samsung.

Serial Number like this: MV9200G9J81WA
    MV stands for Delta, 9 means 2009, 20 means 20weeks. This one is made by Delta in May, 2009.
    ZZ stands for Liteon, Samsung with R start.

These may change in future, and I don’t know the meaning of 0G9J81WA, if somebody knows pls tell me.

Conside manufacturer’s name is showed on case, you could check whether serial no. is the same with manufacturer. And choose the date in 2010 would be better than 2008.

Someone make high-copy serial no. please don’t choose adapters only accord to it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. lee50539310 thread starter macrumors newbie

3)DC Cable
    Original:
    Color of DC cable is soft white or we say a little grey, and you can feel friction because the cable is not total smooth but rough.
    [​IMG]

Replacement:
    Pure white and smooth, you can’t even feel frication. But some factories also use original cables like ours to ensure the quality.
    [​IMG]

It’s not only used in DC cables, also the same way for AC cables and earphone cables.

5. lee50539310 thread starter macrumors newbie

FAQ:
    1) original/replacement/refurbish which one is best?
    Since you have spent so much on MBP why not choose the original one.

If you bought used MBP, too old to buy a new original, you can choose Grade A replacement or a refurbish seller you trust.

2) Why I can't track original adapters from Apple Store?
    If not buy from Apple directly, most time you can't. Apple don't accept it in fact, because these adapters get from OEM directly.

Trading Companies call it Gray Market, most original adapters are not brand new. QC from Apple is very strict, adapter with little scratch or even a tiny spot should be destoryed. And that's maybe what you get.

If some friends have more questions pls leave your message.