Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpaguia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
so i lost my iphone halloween and already replaced it the next day. turns out, whoever found it sent 2 emails to themselves or someone else. what can i do with this email address it was sent to? its her work email btw.

-call her job explaining the situation?
-email the person asking how they have my phone?
-call the fuzz (doubt they'll do anything)?
-try to get someone to hack her email?

any input would help

i already have another iphone, so id prefer to get $ to break even, or breaking legs would be a cool option too.

thanx all!!!

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
emails are usualy associated with personal information, names phone numbers, etc... try to find out the persons name from there you can find out their information (at least i think you can).

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
so i lost my iphone halloween and already replaced it the next day. turns out, whoever found it sent 2 emails to themselves or someone else. what can i do with this email address it was sent to? its her work email btw.

-call her job explaining the situation?
-email the person asking how they have my phone?
-call the fuzz (doubt they'll do anything)?
-try to get someone to hack her email?

any input would help

i already have another iphone, so id prefer to get $ to break even, or breaking legs would be a cool option too.

thanx all!!!

If you post her email addy here, I would say that there's a 98-99 chance that you'll get you your phone back.

Come on now, email addys are public

kAoTiX

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Midlands, UK
Send them an e-mail saying your really glad that someone found your iphone and the fact that 'theyre local as well'. They will think you have their address and probably arrange to give it back to you.
Say something along the lines of telling the police that you've found it and they can call off their search! (not quite in those words :p)

Just scare them into thinking you know where they live and that you have gone to the police.
Also, I don't see any reason to post this person's e-mail address for everyone to see. what good could honestly come of that?

Good luck.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Tell them you used MobileMes find my iphone feature and it points right at their house. :D

jpaguia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
email addy

damn guys, you rock...heres the email addy:

*removed*

i cant believe the audacity of this person, they shot 2 pix from my phone and sent it to that address. one of some plants, and a group shot of her coworkers im assuming.

i looked up the company and its based out of tampa i believe but must be spread out through the us since i lost my phone in nyc.

if you guys can give any helpful info, itd be much appreciated. im thinking i would just email her saying thanks for finding my phone, i can cancel my police report, yada, yada, yada and i can pick it up by her address if i can find it.

how does that sound?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Too bad the person doesn't do the right thing and try to contact you.

Contact the company. Phone and email of some people here:
*removed*

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
The thing is, the OP or anyone else doesn't know this [removed] is the one sending emails to herself or HER FRIEND/HUSBAND is sending the emails to her.

I mean, this means that she know at least knows the person who has the phone but still.

badmire

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2009
ha she tweeted

"got audited @ the self check-out in stop n shop last night. good thing i'm an honest gal! of course, I was paranoid I had forgot to scan one4:33 AM Nov 3rd from web "

Honesty is not stealing iphones ..

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
damn guys, you rock...heres the email addy:

i cant believe the audacity of this person, they shot 2 pix from my phone and sent it to that address. one of some plants, and a group shot of her coworkers im assuming.

i looked up the company and its based out of tampa i believe but must be spread out through the us since i lost my phone in nyc.

if you guys can give any helpful info, itd be much appreciated. im thinking i would just email her saying thanks for finding my phone, i can cancel my police report, yada, yada, yada and i can pick it up by her address if i can find it.

how does that sound?

Download the pictures. The iPhone does Geo Tagging. If you upload them to something like Picasa or Flickr you can see the exact GPS location they were taken. :D Then you wouldn't even be bluffing!

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
Download the pictures. The iPhone does Geo Tagging. If you upload them to something like Picasa or Flickr you can see the exact GPS location they were taken. :D Then you wouldn't even be bluffing!

absolutely brilliant

good luck OP! :)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You have her work address, email, picture, contact info… Just file a police report for a theft and provide them with the information you already have. Let the police sort it out.

Any honorable citizen would have returned a lost device if found, so she already got her chance.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
It's feasible this poor lady has only RECEIVED emails from the perpetrator and she's now subject to a witchhunt!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The best thing to do would be to remove all the information you just posted about her here unless you want to wind up in a harrassment case.

Then - contact her while being polite via email stating the facts. Your phone was lost on ____ at (this location). You have filed a report with the police which is being investigated. You recently saw activity on the phone account which indicates she received an email with (attach the pictures) which originated on the phone. State that you would prefer not to turn to the authorities, but if she has the phone or knows who has the phone, you would simply like it returned and no further action need be taken. You could wrap up the email by stating that if you don''t here back by ______ you will have no other choice but to submit the collected information including her name, email, etc to the authorities so they can investigate the issue on their own.

If she knows something or has the phone - she'll want to return it. And if she doesn't have it - she'll know that the police will be contacting her to at least interview her and probe about it. Either way - it's the most legit and probably best course of action for you.

Resolve this like an adult.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000

No u.

What? When in Rome, talk like a 2nd grader.

The best thing to do would be to remove all the information you just posted about her here unless you want to wind up in a harrassment case.

Then - contact her while being polite via email stating the facts. Your phone was lost on ____ at (this location). You have filed a report with the police which is being investigated. You recently saw activity on the phone account which indicates she received an email with (attach the pictures) which originated on the phone. State that you would prefer not to turn to the authorities, but if she has the phone or knows who has the phone, you would simply like it returned and no further action need be taken. You could wrap up the email by stating that if you don''t here back by ______ you will have no other choice but to submit the collected information including her name, email, etc to the authorities so they can investigate the issue on their own.

If she knows something or has the phone - she'll want to return it. And if she doesn't have it - she'll know that the police will be contacting her to at least interview her and probe about it. Either way - it's the most legit and probably best course of action for you.

Resolve this like an adult.

By far the best advice in this thread. I hope you follow this advice OP.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
This thread is terrible. You guys are just as bad as /b/. No one here knows for sure she's the one with the stolen iPhone, yet you go around calling the police and posting her personal information online.

This is shameful.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
This thread is terrible. You guys are just as bad as /b/. No one here knows for sure she's the one with the stolen iPhone, yet you go around calling the police and posting her personal information online.

This is shameful.
Agreed. Although emails are public info, the use of it for public humiliation/ retribution is not warranted.

Also, funny you know /b/. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.