Somebody chewed my MagSafe cable... still safe?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MiataMac, May 13, 2011.

1. MiataMac, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011

MiataMac macrumors member

Something/someone has chewed in my MagSafe cable, the one that goes from the actual power supply unit and up to the MacBook Pro, so the cable cannot be replaced (at least not easily, maybe at the Apple Store? I doubt it though).

See attached photo.

So it's only 18.5V coming out of that cable, but what's the risk involved at this point? If it short circuits, will it break just the power supply? Or possible also my MacBook Pro? Or, will it even be able to short?

Will I be okay if I cover it with electrical tape (or duct tape actually, I don't have any electrical tape at the moment), or is it best just to throw it out and buy a new MagSafe power supply?

Edit: I should say that it has probably been like this for a few months, there was a rat in the office a weekend which we caught a few months ago. It chewed in some other cables as well but I didn't notice this one was hit also, until today.

Attached Files:

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd buy some electrical tape, and do a fairly heavy application before using it again. It's likely not dangerous, but could give someone an unpleasant jolt that they're not expecting.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

This

4. MiataMac thread starter macrumors member

I should say that it has probably been like this for a few months, there was a rat in the office a weekend which we caught a few months ago. It chewed in some other cables as well but I didn't notice this one was hit also, until today.

So, so far it's 2 for "not use it" and 1 for "electrical tape".

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Tape it up and use it until you can replace it. The risk is not to you (that's on the DC side of the rectifier, and 18.5 V just isn't going to hurt you, really), but to the equipment itself.

6. MiataMac thread starter macrumors member

I was never worried about me or the actual power supply - but more about the MacBook Pro (and the cleaning lady of course ;) )

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I wouldn't use it, to be honest. Never know what could go wrong. Buy a new one to be on the safe side. Electrical tape if you're on the stingy side.

8. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

9. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

Until just recently I had an extra adapter laying around. I would tape it up and you should be fine.

10. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

Also note that because it is DC going to your computer all the wires inside the outer wires have insolation. IE the rat would have to chew through the outer (which it did) then chew through the actual wire (very unlikely) and then through the inner insolation to actually cause problems.

11. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Don't use duct tape, use electrical tape if you have to and I agree that you should just replace it.

12. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

If it's been in that condition for a few months without a problem some electrical tape should work fine. Of course a replacement would eliminate any concerns about your equipment.

13. MiataMac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your replies guys. I'll tape it up for now and start looking for a replacement.

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Personally, I wouldn't be worried about the risk of someone getting a shock, but I would be concerned about potential fire risks: If you get a partial short circuit it will start sparking and that can cause a fire.
    I'd throw it away and get a new power adapter if it was me.

15. MiataMac thread starter macrumors member

That's a very good point you're making there, haven't thought about that.

Well, as I just wrote, I'll tape it up for now and start looking for a new one, so hopefully nothing will happen :)