Somebody Please Help Me

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thecharlesmoore, Feb 28, 2011.

1. thecharlesmoore macrumors member

Hello All,
    I just got a MacBook Pro and I have NO idea how to secure it. I got it as an open box from Best Buy and EVERY TIME my Mac asks for the username and password, bestbuy is ALWAYS in the username (I have to change it every-time). Also, when I go to "trash" there's a shared computer that says your-0o exc.

I have A LOT of important documents and I want to keep them secure (I keep thinking that Best Buy has access to my Mac) So I tried to use FileVault<-but I have NO idea what or how that will work.

Please help me.

2. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Do a fresh install of Snow Leopard. Actually, zero-out your current drive before reinstalling Snow Leopard.

As for Filevault, don't use it - use TrueCrypt, it's free and it lets you secure individual folders.

3. simsaladimbamba

Best Buy has NOT access to your Mac.
    Anyway, secure your data onto an external HDD or USB thumbdrive or CDs or DVDs (all your data), then do a Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to get rid of Best Buy.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Use the restore disc and reset the user password.

5. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Hi. Click on System Preferences in your Dock, or in your Applications folder. Select the Accounts item (it is represented by the silhouette of two people).

Select your username on the left.
    Select "Change Password..."

Voila.

Here's a picture of what the panel looks like:
    [​IMG]

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If for some odd reason you can't uninstall Best Buy's crapware, just reinstall SL and do a 0 Pass over the HDD. Don't mess with firevault.

7. thecharlesmoore thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Everyone.
    When I first got this Mac, I never got that "Welcome Screen and option to insert all you information" So when I noticed bestbuy was already on there, I immediatly inserted the disk Mac OS X Install DVD (I didn't even touch the "Applications Install DVD"). After that was finished, i still didn't get the option to insert my information (meaning I still didn't get to put in my information the same way everybody does when they boot up their Mac for the first time). I did, on the other hand, get the welcome screen (But in a small window)-It was weird.

After all of that AND updating the computer, bestbuy is still there when my Mac asks for my username and password.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant