Somebody sell me on MKV

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by chaos86, Dec 8, 2007.

1. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I flamed a guy the other day because I was in a bad mood and he hit a nerve when he suggested MKV as a good format. This is a sensitive nerve to me because people keep encoding stuff in these obscure formats which makes it a bitch for me and others to use them on our devices and I don't know what the advantage is.

From what I've read, MKV is a container format, and the only advantage it really holds is being able to contain more tracks in a single file than any other container. For the stuff I do, there doesn't need to be more tracks. That and it's open source, which means absolutely nothing unless the alternatives (mp4, avi) are made by opressive companies that lock it down, and they're not.

So why do people want to use MKV. I'm in an open minded mood right now, so somebody sell me on MKV.

Then when you've done that, I'll start a new thread and you can explain why people insist on using div3, xvid, and ogg when mpeg4, h264, and aac are the same quality, just as easy to use, and play in any player.

Seriously, give me good reasons and don't just say it's open source or it's an alternative and alternatives are good, explain the pro's of these things.

2. fkntotalkaos macrumors 6502

.mkv is the new standard for HD content. Less space, less processor intense

3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I don't think that is true. I think the opening poster is right when he says that mkv is nothing more than a container. In fact, most mkv files are h.264 or some derivative of that. So you aren't going to take up less space or waste less processor time as a standard h.264 file.

To answer the first question - I have no idea why people use mkv and I wish it would just go away. I use Final Cut a lot and those mkv files really suck for that.

P-Worm

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Softsubs and encapsulation.

Seriously, that's all I can think of to be honest. Nice to see you again chaos86 on this topic. I hope you stick around this time.

5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Could you explain what softsubs and encapulation are? Doing a bit of research on the subject, it looks like one of the main goals of the mkv format is to provide DVD like menus to videos. I personally don't care at all about that, but maybe the general public does.

P-Worm

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Separate soft subtitle overlays vs. merging hard subs onto the video frame.

.mkv has also taken over .ogm in providing dual audio support as well. I haven't seen menu usage yet.

Encapsulation prevents the usage of the video unless you extract the video stream from the file. It really hampers a lot of newbie anime music video makes I know.

7. bloodycape macrumors 65816

From what I have been it actually is true. It gives you HD content with the use of less space. And trust me mkv is a popular format among non-Apple audiophiles and videophiles.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

How? You're just putting h.264 into an .mkv capsule.

MKV isn't a codec. It's just a container.

9. live4ever macrumors 6502a

So you can have h.264 video with ac3 5.1 audio, mp4 container cannot have ac3 audio.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

From matroska.org, "It is NOT a video or audio compression format (video codec). It is an envelope for which there can be many audio, video and subtitles streams, allowing the user to store a complete movie or CD in a single file."

Lethal

11. statikcat macrumors 6502

statikcat

Are Ogm and Mkv the only formats that support subtitles that can be turned on or off as opposed to burned onto the video as you mentioned?

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I believe the latest version of DivX does as well.

13. bloodycape macrumors 65816

I guess I was going based on what I have thread on the net. But, one thing I did read, which is nice, is the fact that it is open source. Many consumers are predicting it to replace avi as the standard.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Thanks for taking a little more time to look into it. :D

I don't mind MKV. I just want better support of it.

15. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i hear ya, i have a hd mkv and not even ffmpeg can convert it properly, i just want it in my beloved h264

16. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I agree with you 100%, it is just a pain. Everyone should just use H.264 in a regular wrapper (.mp4/.mov) IMO, stop messing around!

Though .mkv is better then .avi in a few ways.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

18. chaos86 thread starter macrumors 65816

chaos86

I have been following this thread, and as requested, here's my reply.

I'm still not sold. At least not me, the above average in computer savvy-ness computer user and media consumer, here at the end of 2007.

The subtitling stuff seems to be the only real advantage, and as of right now, the cost (inconvienience) far outweighs the benefits.

I'll be sticking with h.264 and aac, contained in mp4, and encoded at the heighest settings my ipHone can play (for most videos). For the few visually amazing movies that I want to look nicer, I'll encode them twice, once at native iPhone, once at super high h.264. MKV has no benefit in my life, and since the videos I often find online contained in MKV are used by most people the same way I use them, I think it has no place there either.

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

MKV like OGM still falls into snooty tech open sauce nerd wanting mainstream acceptance of their format. (I'm looking at you OGG fans.)

h.264 in something other then MKV is fine in my book.

20. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Hey nothing wrong with OGG(note I am not a fan of ogg but a fan of Flac).