Somebody Stop Me!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by charliex5, Sep 30, 2008.

1. charliex5 macrumors regular

After looking at that list of netbooks on Amazon.com the other day, I want one! I am an architectural college student and I carry around a lot of equipment all day and my MacBook does start to weigh me down after a while. The Acer Aspire One weighs 2.2 pounds as opposed to the 5 pounds of my MacBook and it's a lot smaller. I want something to do research on the web and type papers up and it seems perfect...I just hate Windows.

So, my real question I guess is, do you think Apple is actually going to come out with a netbook styled portable soon? And do you think it would get anywhere near the $400 price of other netbooks?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I doubt that Apple will come out with a $400 notebook anytime soon if ever. The MacBook Air is the ultraportable mac for your needs but unfortunately it carries a hefty price tag that is difficult to swalllow especially with a SSD.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

My guess is no.

Apple seems to be pretty selective about the markets that it competes in, and its products tend to be towards the higher end of those markets (which gives it a higher profit ratio).

There's not much profit in $400 netbooks.

If they did enter the netbook market, I'd see them doing it with some new, crazy design that they sell at a premium price.

4. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

no and if Apple did it would have the ipod touch os and hardware.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If you're lugging a bunch of crap around all day, a 2 lb. lighter laptop won't make much of a difference. Everything gets heavy as the day goes on.

6. chill. macrumors 6502

are you insane? 2.2 lb vs 5 lb is a huge difference... your fanboy is showing

get the netbook. if you really hate windows that much there are linux alternatives. but i don't really see what the problem is with windows since you will be using very limited functionality anyway.

the needs you describe include:
    research on the web (internet browser ie. firefox)
    typing papers (microsoft office or openoffice, etc.)

no matter what operating system you use osx or windows, you will probably be using the same programs, which have 99% the same on either one. the more basic your needs, the less which operating system you choose really matters

7. charliex5 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks chill. On days that I don't carry my MB around it makes a huge difference. My apartment is also a 30 min walk from campus so there is a lot of "lugging" involved. I'm kind of thinking about getting rid of the MB and getting an iMac and the netbook. I dunno though.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

9. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

How about just getting a Thinkpad X200s and putting OS X on it?

10. jojo13 macrumors 6502

jojo13

400$ forget it
    new portables :yes

if you have money, get the air. It's awesome
    If not, get the Acer. For its price, its awesome too

11. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I like the idea of the iMac + nervouk cause thts what I have for now LOL. Btw there are ways to get osx on netbooks like the eee and msi. Google is your friend!

12. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

The Mac Mini is $600, I doubt we'll see a notebook for anything less, even a NetBook.

13. The Awesome macrumors member

Doubt Apple will release a cheap netbook. I agree that the weight difference is big enough to warrant a replacement so an Aspire One would be a good choice.

14. sonia1234321 macrumors regular

Get the Acer. You can stick OS X on it =D (voids warranty though)

15. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

16. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

I doubt you'll see an Apple product in direct competition. That's one reason at least two members of our local Mac users group have gone the netbook route. It'll get the basics done, and pre-installed Linux isn't Windows.

17. charliex5 thread starter macrumors regular

I googled about installing osx on it and it looks a bit too complicated for me, plus some stuff doesn't work...sound, wifi (sometimes), and ethernet (sometimes). I think I can choke down linux just fine but it sure would be nice to install iWork which I use on my MB.

18. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

You are not going to do heavy duty graphics, video, or music/studio mixing down, so the PC laptop is just fine for simple tasks. But if you say yes to any of the above, get the MBA for sure.

It will be more practical in the long run.

for Windows to truly be anywhere near OSX in multimedia, MS needs to streamline the heck out of the bulky operating system.