Somehow I changed cmd+shift+4 behavior, how to reset?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Injerto, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Injerto macrumors newbie

Hello. The other day I was fooling around with my computer, specifically changing default screenshot location, but somehow I managed to change the behavior of cmd+shift+4, which originally shows an area selector and pressing space key changes to window-selection mode (the camera). Now, when I press the keys it automatically starts in camera mode and I have to press space to switch to area selector.

I don't know how the heck I managed to change this but I want the default behavior back... how can I fix it? I tried with defaults but I can't find an actual setting for that there.

2. Injerto thread starter macrumors newbie

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Go here: System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Screen Shots. The defaults look like this:
    Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 10.08.33 AM.png

4. Injerto thread starter macrumors newbie

i appreciate your reply but the shortcuts work just fine, but instead of defaulting to region selection it defaults to window selection, which to swap with the spacebar, but i want it to default to area cuz i don't like pressing space everytime

5. VanFruniken macrumors newbie

On the iPad Pro keyboard, I am happy to report, the keyboard combination "cmd-shift-4" directly shows you the screenshot (in theapple pencil enabled editor) with blue crop corners around it, and when finished, it prompts for a filename to save under Photos.
    Haven't tried it with an ordinary Mac Bluetooth that is paired with the iPad, though.

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst