Somehow I'm getting tons of extra spaces/desktops in missioncontrol?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by omvs, Jul 18, 2014.

1. omvs macrumors 6502

I've noticed a few odd behaviors recently with my machine and wondering if anyone can shed some light. Apologies if this a FAQ, though my attempts at searching the forums didn't yield any interesting looking threads.

1>Sometimes I seem to end up with a *lot* of extra empty desktops when I look at mission control - around 10 extra. I tend to only use one so not sure how thats happening - seems like it may be after a reboot, or maybe thats just when i notice it.

2> Sometimes an app seems to go off to a separate, non-visible space when it opens. Mail.app is one that sometimes (but not always) happens. I'm not sure if this has happened on any other program.

In the distance past I used to have some applications tagged to specific spaces - I think this was a feature sometime back in 10.6/10.7/10.8? But I don't see any control over this in system preferences, so assume its no longer possible. If there's some stray settings still held in my account though it could partially explain things.

Is there a hotkey that causes an app to open in a new space? Maybe I'm inadvertently activating it and causing behavior #2

If there's a way to completely disable spaces that might be nice. I do use Mission control very commonly to expose burried windows on a desktop -- but don't really need separate spaces.

2. simsaladimbamba

When Mission Control is active and you go with the mouse pointer to a another small desktop at the top, the desktop will show you a small close X on the top left to ged rid of it.

The assigning of applications to different spaces is now a bit more cumbersome. You right click on the Dock icon of the application and select OPTIONS > Assign to.

3. omvs thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't see "ASSIGN TO" when I rightclick on the dock & hit options. Just "Keep in Dock, Open at login, Show in Finder". This seems to be true for both running and non-running applications...

I have been closing the extra desktop/spaces. But they keep coming back....