Someone _not_ experiencing the SMC bug on rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KimHansenDK, Feb 22, 2013.

1. KimHansenDK macrumors 6502

I'm about to click on the on the order button and buy a new 15" MacBook Pro Retina, but reading all the issues with performance due to the SMC bug worries me a little.

Is there anyone _not_ experiencing this bug on the rMBP?

2. KimHansenDK thread starter macrumors 6502

Apprently a lot is experiencing performance issues with the GPU - things slow down a lot. This can be fixed by resetting the SMC.

3. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

Never knew of that bug.Haven't reset smc or pram in a long time.
    Mid 2012 rMBP.

4. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

If you do not use your rMBP for heavy stuff you won't notice. I only notice it under Windows when I play some game. And I hate that, almost every time I want to play a game, I need to reset the SMC.

5. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

No gaming,No windows either. Maybe that's why didn't feel any slowdowns.

6. KimHansenDK thread starter macrumors 6502

But is should be able to be fixed with an update, right?

7. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

Apple is really working on this 10.8.3 beta, should fix all the bugs. Release any day now.

8. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

It is fixable and it should be fixed but I'm septic about it. There are several things to be fixed on ML and Apple didn't say a word about the SMC bug yet. I'm praying that it is fixed.. That along with the lags, slow shutdown, memory leaks etc etc etc. Without all the iOS BS like some years ago, I bet this would be already fixed by now but there's nothing we can do about that other than wait.

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

My Base 2012 15" Retina does not throttle (SMC bug) under any circumstance I have deliberately tried to induce throttling, the only thing I have not done is run Window`s, equally I have no use for the OS on a Mac so it`s unlikely I will try this.

Unlikely it`s related to the design of the rMBP or all machines would react the same. As stated my own Base Retina will not throttle regardless of how much load is applied, as do other Retina`s. My machine is well ventilated, although ambient is around 26C - 28, i have tried dev/null, video encoding, intensive 3D games, combinations of and simultaneously, yes applications do slow due to the sheer load on the CPU/GPU, yet CPU frequency remains above 3GHz all cores fully loaded, or another approach with apps in isolation, an extended video encode will not drop fps, nor a 3D game drop fps.

My 2.3 base Retina switches GPU automatically as needed and i have never had any issue, it has to run deeper, hence Apple`s lack of fix for those with systems suffering this issue. Fundamentally the user base with the problem is either too small, or Apple is unsure how to proceed; will a fix create more issue, who knows.

As stated i have deliberately tried to induce throttling on my own 15" Retina to no avail. The same attempts on my Late 2011 15" (2.4) result in almost instantaneous throttling yet my own Retina "to all accounts and purpose" appears to be impervious to throttling are all Mac`s equal possibly not, food for thought indeed...

As for the hardware there is potential for some difference due to Intel`s "binning" process be it due to performance or demand; is my Retina`s 2.3 a "binned" down 2.6 due to demand? Would this result in greater stability under extreme load? I seriously doubt as TDP of 45W is the same for both, still no real ideas.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

10.8.3 and the SMC bug is two different things, I'm not saying apple will not fix it in 10.8.3 but rather not to expect all bugs to be eradicated in 10.8.3.

11. dma550 macrumors 6502

Can someone tell me the easiest way to test for /experience this? Is it really just a bootcamp thing?

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have not experienced the SMC bug and I do not play games on my MacBook Pro.

13. gbit macrumors member