Someone Created iTunes Account Using My Email Address

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JackieInCo, Dec 13, 2013.

1. JackieInCo macrumors 603

I have three Gmail accounts mostly unused. This morning I got an email on one of them asking me to verify my email address that was used to create an iTunes account.

I went to iTunes and tried to login and of course couldn't and that email address was never used for an iTunes account. I reset the password and then logged in.

I could see the woman's name, address and credit card that she used to create the account with and I'm sure if I wanted to, I could have made purchases.

I changed the name and set the card to none and have no plans to use that iTunes account.

I wonder how this person could have gotten the email address because it's rarely used and if if was simply a similar email that she mistyped by one letter this could be a huge problem for someone willing to advantage of someone's mistake.

I wonder how often this happens.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

I don't remember the steps to create a new account, but you'd think they'd have one verify his or her email address before entering any credit card info!

3. eboakes macrumors newbie

eboakes

I have this happen constantly!

I have a three-character email address at att.net. I don't use it much because other people are constantly using it to order things, make reservations and set up accounts at all sorts of services - including bank accounts!. I usually attempt to take over the account and change the password, much as you did. But, sometimes, I have to contact the institution and get my email removed from the individual's account. So far, none of them appear to have been malicious. But I have ended up on the phone with people who insist that it's their email address, despite the fact that they cannot receive or send email at it! It's the most bizarre thing! Some people seem to think that they can just make up an email address and it's magically theirs. Or, maybe they're just not paying attention.

4. adam9c1 macrumors 68000

adam9c1

Don't have an iTunes account that's att.net
    What happens if u change your ISP?

Having Apple ID be different than your email is doable but a pita.

5. mpantone, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

mpantone macrumors 6502

If you want to change your ISP, you just add the new e-mail address to the original Apple ID account. You will need to reply to the verification e-mail for the additional e-mail addresses before Apple will actively associate the new address with the Apple ID account in question.

Once an additional address has been verified and activated by Apple, you can then make that new address as the primary one for the Apple ID. From there, you can delete other addresses without verification (since you've already verified your ownership of that e-mail). Apple will send out an alert e-mail both to the primary e-mail as well as the one just deleted as a warning.

Really short e-mail handles are problematic, particularly with fraud and spam. That's why Google does not allow for short e-mail handles. I think they need to be six characters or more. I know for a fact that a five-character Google e-mail handle will be rejected.

Many other companies require six or eight characters for a handle, some financial institutions also require at least one digit as well.