Someone else buying an iPhone for me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by odiseus, Dec 17, 2011.

1. odiseus macrumors newbie

I need to have someone else buy an iPhone 4S for me in an Apple store. I made the reservation and he will come in. Do you know if they will sell it to him (he will have my apple ID and password). Do you know if he will be able to get an invoice on my name?

2. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

3. odiseus thread starter macrumors newbie

I just can't...

4. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Not good enough.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Call and ask.

If they allow it, it would have to be device-only (i.e. full price) - he certainly wouldn't be able to sign for you on a carrier contract to get subsidized price.

6. odiseus thread starter macrumors newbie

I will call and see. I am looking for an Unlocked iPhone anyhow...

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If unlocked is what you want, then sure, anyone can buy an unlocked iPhone and give it to anyone else. There's no carrier contract involved, so no papers need to be signed that obligates anyone beyond the initial purchase.

So yeah, just someone to go in and buy the thing, and give it to you.

8. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I have no idea if this applies to the Apple store, but for AT&T you can delegate a proxy for the account holder. You can add this name online and they can make the decisions on behalf of the account holder. But again, this is only on the AT&T online account manager. I have no idea if Apple will honor that.

This works. I'm my parent's proxy.

9. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

you would have carrier signing issues and you may have warranty issues as it will not be your signature on the apple store paper but his.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

He is buying an unlocked phone. As far as signatures, I don't see the relevance. people buy gifts for others all the time. I don't need my friend to sign a thing if I am going to gift him a phone.

11. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

No idea how it works in other countries but I've read a few stories about people reserving unlocked phones here in the UK at the Apple Store and when they've sent someone else to get it Apple haven't allowed it.

12. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Yes but in this case the phone is ordered in the o.ps name and getting picked up by somebody else and with somebody else's signature, imagine the o.p were to sell the phone and wanted to show a receipt, wouldn't that look a bit fishy for you as a buyer if as a proof of purchase the o.p shows a bill with his name on top but a different signature as a confirmation?

13. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Oh, never mind.. The above method would only work if you're picking up an upgrade phone or an AT&T locked phone. This is all assuming you're even on AT&T. But yes, for AT&T, account holder does not have to present. They can delegate someone to have "full powers" and even re-sign contracts per AT&T's policies of authorized users. Apple should follow AT&T's policies when it comes to AT&T iPhones.

14. odiseus thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks for all you folks for your answers...

15. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Warranty is on the phone not the signature.