Someone else on my IP address

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jbrown, Dec 20, 2011.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Is this anything to be concerned about?

What causes this?

How can I fix it.

Many thanks all :)

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

Are there other devices connected to your network?

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Usually I've seen that when I've connected both via Wifi and Ethernet, and the router has gotten confused. Fixing settings in the router or just making sure you only connect via one method can resolve the issue, or if there are multiple devices on the network, make sure that they're not set to grab the same assigned IP address and instead either have different ones or are set to assign automatically.

jW

4. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Only other device on the my ( home ) network is my iPhone

5. DouchGod macrumors regular

DouchGod

What security are you running on your WiFi network, you could have a unwelcome guest.

6. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

7. DouchGod macrumors regular

DouchGod

WEP can easily be cracked, does your router offer WPA or WPA2 if so change it.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

This is a problem that occurs sometimes with Macs. When connecting to a network that uses DHCP they want to use the same IP Address they used the last time they connected. However, after a router reboot the router will assign IP addresses on a first come first serve basis.

For some blasted reason a Mac connecting to the network will continue to want to use the same IP Address it used before. Rather than just taking a new one and keep throwing up this error.

The methods I have found to prevent this are to delete the network from the Keychain then reconnect, create a new network location in the Network pane and delete the old one, or assign static IP Addresses.

This has been a long standing problem in OS X. Though I have yet to encounter it with Lion. I don't know why Apple has had so much trouble with automatic DHCP, Windows just moves on to the next address.