Someone else with utorrent connection problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fscarpa, Mar 14, 2009.

1. fscarpa macrumors regular

I have a wireless network at home with time capsule. I connect to the internet through it with 2 computers: one mac and one pc. I can download and upload perfectly with the pc, but with mac, using the same program: utorrent, I'm having some troubles. I have one opened port in my modem for the torrents. I've set utorrent to use this port, but with mac, the download speed keeps very low (below 2 kB/s). Sometimes it goes to 40 - 60 kB/s for some moments (depending on how many seeds I have) but then it comes down again. My upload speed never goes above 10 kB/s.
    On the other hand, with pc I keep constant download and upload speed, even if I use the same torrent file that wasn't working on the mac (of course, not at the same time).
    So I assume my modem and time capsule configuration for this are ok, but what could be wrong with the Mac?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

When the download suddenly stops, at utorrent>preferences>network I get the yellow "no incoming connections" light beside the "Incoming TCP port". Then I restart utorrent and it starts to download again. The yellow light turns to green "Connection Working". Some minutes later, the green light turns to yellow again, but it's still downloading. Then, after a while, it suddenly stops to download, it shows no seeds and the light keeps yellow. And so on...
    Sometimes if I keep it on, the light goes yellow for some minutes, then green for some minutes, then yellow again, before the downloads stop to work and the light keep yellow (until I restart the program again).

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I assume you've enabled port forwarding on your router for your Mac's assigned IP address and havn't got any Mac antivirus or firewall software running?

5. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

I did, but I don't know if I've put the right address on the router port forwarding.
    I have a router/modem which is authenticating and sending the internet signal to my time capsule, which is only distributing (Ethernet, not PPPoE).
    On apple>system preferences>network>airport>advanced>TCP IP - I have IPv4 Address. Is this the one I should use to forward the port on the router?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Does your ISP block torrents?

Have you tried forcing encryption?

7. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

I've tested my ISP for torrent blocking, it was negative. Besides, with pc I have no problems, with the same modem/router. And yes, I've already enabled the encryption option on utorrent, nothing changes.
    I wonder if I'm using the wrong address on port forwarding... Is what I posted above (#5) right?

8. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

Here's my stats

Attached Files:

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

If your only getting upload speeds of 1.6kb/s and your sure your isp isn't blocking torrents, and your sure 100% that you enabled RC4 encryption then your not forwarding your ports properly. Remember every time your Macbook disconnects from your wireless router or you turn it on or off or do anything to disconnect the wireless internet your ip address will change and you have to set up port forwarding again, especially if you have more than one computer connecting to the router.

10. finnschi macrumors 6502

Same Problem here, i used to work fine until they pushed out a update... all other Torrents apps work fine ! :eek:

11. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

I always check on system preferences>network the assigned IP and it keeps the same (I keep my iMAC on almost 24x7). RC4 encryption is that one in utorrent's preferences? (if so, then yes, I do). And at this very moment I'm getting dl 27,5 kB/s and ul 33,8 kB/s - but the light still keeps yellow with that "No Incoming Connections. There may be a problem with your network configuration". Weird.

12. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

What Torrent app do you use?

13. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

14. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

There's something I'm still confused with:

My router is fed with my ISP information (login and password). It has its own IP address (eg x.x.x.x). It authenticates and assigns an ip to my time capsule (eg x.x.x.10), which is connected to it, right? My time capsule then gets the internet signal (already "decoded") and distribuites it through airport and assigns different ips to the other computers connected to it, based on its (time capsule) ip (eg y.y.y.y), right? So, my mac has an ip address (IPv4 address - DHCP) which I can see in network under system preferences, that's something like y.y.y.20.

So, when I open a port, should I put on it my IPv4 address (the address the time capsule assigned for my mac - y.y.y.20) or the one that the router assigned for my time capsule?

15. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

16. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

If you open up a port its usually just for one IP, the IP address of your computer is determined automatically each time you connect to the network (for instance after a restart) so by making it static you always end up connecting with the same IP address. The static IP of your mac should be entered as the forwarded port on your router. Hope this helps

17. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I got it. But is doesn't solve my problem, since I'm having this issues even when the ip assigned to my Mac is the same as the one I've used on my router to forward the port. Something else is wrong.

18. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

What if I set my modem to bridge and authenticated from time capsule (PPPoE) instead? Then should I forward the ports in Time Capsule? How am I suppposed to do this?

19. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

Well, if someone else has this problem... it worked for me: I've set my modem to bridge and set time capsule to connect to the internet via PPPoE and ... voilá! Internet is working fine, time capsule is routing and I finally got the green light on utorrent.

20. jilco macrumors newbie

Utorrent uploading issues

I too am having uploading issues. I have reconfigured, port forwarded and my dowload speed is good, but my upload speed is not. I am connected to the internet via Time Capsule (dsl via ATT) and use Airport Extreme to lengthen the signal around my house. In uTorrent, my light is yellow - but when I download its green.

I would be VERY GRATEFUL for any help here.

Also, our router is a old Westell, but I updated the firmware. Do I need to bridge that? I'm so confused. Help. Please.

21. tug macrumors 6502

i dont know about the technical stuff here but if this helps you please give it a go. go to "active dots" wich is a torrent search engine using all available torrent searches, i have mine configured to use bt junkie, type what your looking for download it using "vuze" my experience here is that this is the fastest system i have ever known even with minimal seeders and peers it really goes for it!
    utorrent and bit torrent are only really suitable for windows, i dont know why but they never really worked for me, when i changed to osx i found the same problems as yourselves. using this setup i d/l audio/video without any probs also theres some really cool mac software in there too. best of luck, tug :apple:
    oh and uploading is just great! no probs. i use w/l router connected to airport extreme as well.

22. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

If I were you, I'd bridge it. That was the only thing that worked for me.