Someone explain resolution vs screen size to me please...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SamIchi, Jul 2, 2009.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I thought all pixels were the same size, so what's the difference between a 22" monitor with the resolution of 1920x1080 and a 23" monitor with the same resolution? I'm missing something here. Is the "pixelage" bigger?

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Monitors have a physical amount of pixels. You obviously cant go bigger than the real number that are available.

But, you can have a 20" screen do 640x480 up to maybe even 1920x1400 or whatever.

A larger monitor typically has more pixels (not just perhaps larger in size) and thus the ability to display a higher res.

A larger monitor should have a higher max res compared to a smaller one. But thats not a rule.

3. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Yes, and/or the spacing between the pixels.

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Resolution is the size the computer percieves the screen to be and is relevant to how much space is available to put on the screen, where the size of the screen determines the size we percieve things on the screen to be and thus determines how sharp a screen seems.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Resolution is (1) the number of "dots" displayed, and (2) the spacing between these dots.

Screen size is whatever a ruler says it is.

If you compare two monitors with the same resolution - say a 20" and a 22", the larger monitor will have either larger pixels, more space in between them, or both.

A higher resolution can display a sharper picture, reduce eye strain by making text smoother and easier to read, and display more information - regardless of the screen size.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE: Someone explain resolution vs screen size to me please...

Tomorrow wrote:
    "If you compare two monitors with the same resolution - say a 20" and a 22", the larger monitor will have either larger pixels, more space in between them, or both.
    A higher resolution can display a sharper picture, reduce eye strain by making text smoother and easier to read, and display more information - regardless of the screen size."

This is a double-edged sword. Higher resolution is not _always_ better.

For older folks (like myself), the new 24" monitors can be difficult to look at, precisely because the pixels are on the small side (generally .0270)

Indeed, a 27" monitor with the same resolution as a 24" monitor will be easier to read, since it has pixels that are .0303. Although that may look "grainy" to the younger folk, it actually looks _clearer_ to older folks (and those with vision problems).

You can take a 24" display and run it at a lower resolution via software, but LCD panels look best at their native resolutions.

I've got a Dell 1905FP (19") with my g4, and my Intel iMac has the 24" panel. Both are great displays (I give the edge to the Dell), but I find the 19" display a bit easier for reading because of the larger pixels (but then, I'm just shy of 60).

The original poster asked about screen "size" vis-a-vis resolution. As mentioned above, different-sized displays can have the _same_ resolution. It's just the pixel size is larger. Thus, a 24" and a 27" LCD will display the same image - it's just that the image on the 27" is [very slightly] "blown up" in size.

It's a very personal thing. You have to look at a bunch of different monitors and decide which size you are most comfortable with.

- John