Someone explain the Health App to me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tardman91, Nov 7, 2014.

1. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I see how it track your steps, distance, and flights of stairs climbed, which are all pretty cool. I created the lock screen emergency medical ID since I have a heart condition, which is neat feature. I know it will integrate with the Apple watch when that's released, but I really don't plan to buy that right away.
    So... what else is it good for? Do I need some type of ANT+ device like a heart monitor or cadence sensor for my bike to make it useful? Or some other wearable like a FitBit? What are the other options in that department? I see there's a ton of different things it can track. I assume it's primarily designed for the Apple Watch, but I'd like to get more use out of it now, without spending a lot of money.
    If this belongs more in the App section, please move it mods. I figured I'd put it here since it's really built into the phone.

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

It doesn't really track anything other than steps and flights on its own. It's something of a database for you to have all of your third party apps and tools that track/monitor various health stats all comprehensively compiled in one place. So it pulls data from those apps to show on the graphs.

3. tardman91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Well that makes a little more sense. Is there a comprehensive list of apps that are designed to compile data? I looked on Apple's site and didn't see much, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yes if you search for 'health' in the App Store then you get this page which will show you all of the apps that it's compatible with.

Attached Files:

5. tardman91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Thanks! They should put that link in the actual Health app.