someone hacked

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mithun914, Aug 22, 2007.

1. mithun914 macrumors member

someone hacked my friend's hotmail address, meaning that person got the pass , and is now in using msn messesger , and chating with the ppl on his acc, who ever the person is doesn't know i am his friend, so am just acting like i know nothing , is there anyway to track that person? IP address? something? somehow do get some clues who ti might be??

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Immediately log on and change your password to something extremely secure if the person who hacked the account hasn't already changed the password.

If they have changed the password, contact Microsoft and have them close the account or at least change the password for you, then you should probably close the account yourself.

If they haven't changed the password contact Microsoft anyway and let them know what happened; then close the account and put your online life back together at a new email address.

3. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

I managed to do that to my friend once as a laugh, remember the security for passwords was really poor at one point, all you had to do was make a good guess at the secret question!! It doesnt sound funny in your situation though so am not saying this in a jokey way towards you.

Its quite possibly someone that knows you who has done it for whatever reason but I would get back into the account and change the password but also the secret question to something completely absurd, (my friends one at the time was "Whats the name of my Mum?" really really poor.), but something that you can remember!! If not get a new account and make sure everyone knows thats not you!!

The previous post says to contact Microsoft but I can honestly see that as being a difficult one, maybe not but I think they would be unwilling to shut down accounts from what to them will be a random phonecall or email.

Hope you get it sorted out!!

4. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

I think what mithun is wanting, is to track this POS down like the dog he is.

As the messages he's sending are going via MSN servers, his IP is masked.

If you have the know how, do the following, or ask a friendly webmaster to help. I'd love to help but am at work at the mo, and don't have access to my home mac.

Setup apache to record the User-Agent in the access log. Create an interesting web page. Could be as simple as a funny picture you might show a mate. Send the URL to this scumbag, when he downloads it, you should have his IP address or the IP address of his ISP's webproxy.

Lookup RIPE to see who owns the address. Most likely the ISP he connects with. Then either try and pursue him by asking the ISP to reveal who's using the address, unlikely they'll reveal that to you. Or speak with local law enforcement and give them the IP address and URL you created. They'll ask the ISP who was using that IP and if a webproxy, who tried to access your page through the webproxy.

Best of luck, though i think law enforcement will likely view this as small beans.

Regards
    M.

5. bonafide macrumors regular

Local law enforcement has much better things to do then track down someone who 'hacks/uses' someone else's MSN account. Give me a break... although talking to MSN sounds completely futile I think it is your only option.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'd be asking his/her boyfriend/girlfriend if they have anything to do with it. Sounds like it was done by someone he knows. I doubt someone would go through the hassle of hacking an email account for the things you say he has been doing.

I know with AIM there's ways to track down people's IP and such, but I never use MSN. I hate hotmail, yuck.