Someone has hacked into my computer or is still stealing my internet!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gee1234567, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Gee1234567 macrumors newbie

I have just installed the leopard last night. while i clicked into the mac HD, i see there is another person's name appeared under the folder SHARE. It is a pc user and has been somehow connected to my computer under a guest connection. I am really worried that he might have hacked into my account and steal my personal details. Or stealing my internet, I already have a wep pin for security.

can someone please help and let me know how to stop the connection or forbid other random people logging into my computer? as that person might not even realise that we are connected.

Thank you so much!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I doubt they are 'stealzingz ur infos' but they're probably on the same network as you. Check your router.

3. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Is your computer a laptop? Do you ever use public WiFi at malls/coffee shops/restaurants? Did you do a completely clean install of Leopard or did you just upgrade? Do any of your neighbors have unsecured wireless networks?

It's entirely possible that the person showed up via a public WiFi spot you had used and if you updated to Leopard rather than a clean install, that the folder may have been there for quite some time, you might want to try a "Get Info..." on the folder to find it's date of origination.

It's also possible that if you have neighbors with unsecured wireless that, in your computer latched onto their network at some point instead of your own, so it may have been you stealing their internet rather than the other way around.

Edit:
    bit of confusion on where the second computer was showing up.

I'd make sure your connected to your WiFi rather than a neighbor's network. Another method of security, although still not completely secure, change your network's ID and turn off the SSID broadcasting on your router if you haven't already. WEP may be easily broken, but not broadcasting your network's identity/availability, can eliminate some casual internet thieves.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

WEP is easily broken, change to WPA and see if the mystery machine vanishes then.

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

It could simply be another computer on the local network. A windows machine etc..

Is it showing up as "shared" on the left-side list in Finder?

6. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Can you post a screenshot of this thing that is bothering you? Your description isn't very clear.

Also, how are you connecting to the internet? Wireless network + cable modem? Do you have your wireless network secured? We need more details.

Rest assured that it's unlikely anybody has stolen your files or in any way violated your privacy. Macs are generally pretty safe as long as you haven't changed any settings that you're not familiar with.

7. Gee1234567 thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all, thank you for helping all of you.

i'm sure i haven't changed anything with my mac settings.
    Earlier today I added the WPA hoping to raise the security level, but i doubt it is of any help, as the person's pc still appears on my screen.

What exactly is a local network/ network? I don't usually use my laptop at other wi-fi spots, tried once at the airport and once at library.
    I took a screenshot as suggested by Savar. Please take a look and see if someone has any clues!

Once again, thank you for all your replies.

8. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

If it bothers you, which it must or you wouldn't have posted, just turn off sharing in Preferences. Done.

Cheers.

9. Gee1234567 thread starter macrumors newbie

Screenshot

Attached Files:

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Unless I'm missing something.. that's a computer to which you are connected as a user, not one that is connected to you. In other words, you're accessing *their* drive, not the other way around.

11. Wiredrawn macrumors regular

WHAT THE HELL!

I have EXACTLY the same on mine! With the name Thomson as well?! I have no idea where it came from?! Is this a leopard bug?

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

Under the Shared tab in Finder, your computer will list any resources on your network that are available via Bonjour.

I thought I read once where a particular model of a DSL modem was announcing across the LAN that it had resources to share, so Leopard listed it under the Shared area of Finder, just like it would with any other resource.

Edit:
    Please read this quick thread:
    http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=27813

13. gothamm macrumors 6502a

how do you break WEP?

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Hummm… so Thomson and Thompson maybe?

Attached Files:

• TT.png
      TT.png
      File size:
      25.7 KB
      Views:
  15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

16. bartelby macrumors Core

Could be worse, could be:
    [​IMG]

17. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

18. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Looks like the culprit is a "BT HomeHub", whatever that is.

As others have pointed out, when you see a device along the side of a Finder window, that is a shared network resource that YOU are connecting to, not the other way around.

(In fact, I'm not sure how easy it is to see, within the Finder, who else is connected to your computer.)

When browsing public networks, please be sure to turn off file sharing if you're not using it. Especially since Leopard makes it that much easier to find and connect to them.

My story: I was at a hotel last fall, attending a conference. During some time off I went to the Apple Store and bought Leopard (this was a week after it had been released), and installed it on my PowerBook. I connected to the hotel's WiFi connection, and saw a computer name, just like you did. I was able to connect to it and browse a "Public" folder (no files). There was even an option to start Screen Sharing! (Password protected, at least... phew.) I fired up iTunes and, sure enough, up comes "Jane Doe's Music". She only had a couple of albums in her iTunes library.

I figured out which group Jane Doe was from and went over to introduce myself after a conference session. You should have seen the look on her face when I asked her, "So, how are you enjoying your new Mac laptop?"

19. Queso macrumors G4

Owww. Doctor! Doctor!

20. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Its a BT HomeHub thing

View attachment 106425

Gets about alot dont he

21. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

can't you hear the hub it's calling, calling...

dammit, now that song is stuck in my head. :mad:

east is east, west is west, keep moving on into the gap. take that.

22. Keebler macrumors 68030

actually, i think it was singing' Hold me now...whoaoaaaoooa"

:)

23. Keebler macrumors 68030

did you end up marrying her?

that would make for a great story :)

24. scotty56 macrumors regular

Mine says Tom under the shared folder..

It also says it is a PC server, whatever that means..