Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
I feel Google has a Catch-22 on its hands:

The Nexus phones appealed to hard-core Android users and those looking for a good experience at a reasonable cost.
The Pixel phones are trying to appeal to a mainstream audience, but they have a premium cost.

They truly are trying to emulate the iPhone in many respects - not just the look of the phone, but down to the marketing and selling of the phone as well. Will they be successful? I don't see everyday phone buyers choosing the Pixel over a Galaxy or an iPhone, but as someone who often uses both, I'm attracted to the Pixel mainly because of the software enhancements. I'm not going to pay that kind of money for one, but maybe when they get discounted some time down the road, I'll use it along with my iPhone 7 Plus to get my Android "fix".

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It will be a niche phone just like Nexus devices until they figure out their marketing strategy and where they want to go as a mobile company. You would think that the king of collecting consumer info would have marketing figured out by now...
[doublepost=1475777670][/doublepost]

That's where I'm putting my money lol. If history is to be an indicator. How about that Chrome Pixel? :p
[doublepost=1475777775][/doublepost]I have 3 upgrades (and VZW unlimited data on two lines). Used one upgrade for the 7+. Debating whether to use one on the Pixel. Gonna wait and see if the bootloader can be unlocked though. I know jcase is saying it can't, but until the phones are in the hands of the devs, we don't truly know.

2013 is when the first came out
2015 is when the second
2017 is likely when the third will

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I feel Google has a Catch-22 on its hands:

The Nexus phones appealed to hard-core Android users and those looking for a good experience at a reasonable cost.
The Pixel phones are trying to appeal to a mainstream audience, but they have a premium cost.

They truly are trying to emulate the iPhone in many respects - not just the look of the phone, but down to the marketing and selling of the phone as well. Will they be successful? I don't see everyday phone buyers choosing the Pixel over a Galaxy or an iPhone, but as someone who often uses both, I'm attracted to the Pixel mainly because of the software enhancements. I'm not going to pay that kind of money for one, but maybe when they get discounted some time down the road, I'll use it along with my iPhone 7 Plus to get my Android "fix".

Nah I don't really think it's a catch-22. We, meaning tech/phone enthusiasts, honestly aren't that important as far as sales go. If we were the Nexuses and Moto Xs and the play editions of other phones would have been major hits. Instead they all languished. I actually do see the average consumer picking a Pixel over a Samsung, it really just depends on how well sales people in store push them. Of course certain "explody" issues might push people away from Samsung too ;).

I dunno if it will pull people away from iPhones but I don't think it has to do that, I think it really just wants to be the standard Android phone people think of.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
There are other good phones besides the Pixel. LG V20 is supposed to be great as well.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
There are other good phones besides the Pixel. LG V20 is supposed to be great as well.

Yeah the V20 is good but LG will abandon it as soon as the G6 comes out or at least slow down the updates.
Gone are the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 pricing days where Google didn't care for the profit and when LG wanted to make it big so it could compete for market share!
I hope more phone makers follow what OnePlus and ZTE is doing in terms of flagship specs and pricing.

Reactions: got556

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Sold out 6-7 weeks on the Google store, it's still listed as delivering by 10/20 from Verizon for all models even the blue one. Ya know on that note I find it really strange that the blue is only available in the 32gb option, you would think it would only be an option for 128gb if anything.

Verizon is hardly a gauge for handset interest. Most people that know of the Pixel know not to buy from Verizon because of the locked bootloader.

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Verizon is hardly a gauge for handset interest. Most people that know of the Pixel know not to buy from Verizon because of the locked bootloader.

Totally disagree here. I would say a very very small fraction of smart phone buyers care about the bootloader what so ever. I think the type of person who watches a google press conference and they goes on to pre-order right away might care about an unlocked phone.

I suspect Verizon had more allocated to them than the google store in the US because they know that's where most of the sales will come from. Once the ads start getting some traction, and then especially when they get handsets in stores, I expect sales will pick up a lot.

Edit: I'm a big tech person (addict) who watches these press conferences and stays up late to pre-order and do IT for a living. I don't care about the bootloader or rooting anymore.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

Informed consumers prefer the Verizon variant because in the case of the iPhone 7 series it's carrier unlocked with the more universal Qualcomm vs Intel radio. Next to unlocked the Verizon variant is the best.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Don't feel bad...I've used iPhones since the original (with some Android sprinkled in along the way) and I preordered one immediately after their Keynote was over.

I've been waiting for Google to offer a more controlled, dare to say 'iPhone' like experience for a while as I've always been a fan of stock Android but the Nexus phones always had some significant compromises.

I thought Google killed it with their hardware. I find Google Home far more intriguing than the Amazon Echo (that seldom gets used in our home), especially for someone who uses a lot of Google services. Google Wifi offers a huge functional advantage over the outdated Apple router solutions and is nearly half as expensive as the Eero and Luma mesh wifi solutions. Chromecast Ultra is a nice upgrade to the already outstanding Chromecast (have become my go to streaming solution around our home). Daydream Cast offers something you can't even get with an iPhone and seems like an improvement over Samsung's Gear VR, for less money and including a controller.

I have loved (mostly ;)) using Apple hardware for the past 10 years (spent thousands of $) but I've become a bit frustrated with Apple dragging their feet in many instances. Google's services far exceed Apple's offerings in so many areas and now we may finally have the comparable hardware to best run them. I'm going to dive in head first and if it turns out they don't live up to expectations, well, Apple isn't going anywhere.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Whatever the haters say, it's sold out for 6-7 weeks. The Android enthusiasts will all get it but it remains to be seen if the common folk take to it.

Nothing to do with how good/bad the phones are but, just as it would be with any and every product, sold out for X amount of weeks means precisely diddly squat without knowing how many have been manufactured and released to retail.

While I'm sure it'll do quite well, just as we can't know with the iPhone and it's often, sold out for X weeks status. Until numbers are officially revealed they could have sold 2,000 or 20,000,000 we just don't know, waiting time is meaningless beyond causing frustration for those of us who are doing the waiting :D

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Well looks like Verizon will control the updates to their version of the pixel....sigh

I had already convinced myself to stick with the iPhone but this news makes it stick.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
Well looks like Verizon will control the updates to their version of the pixel....sigh

I had already convinced myself to stick with the iPhone but this news makes it stick.

Effin knew it.....well so much for using an upgrade through VZW. I'll wait til these things depreciate and try one out.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland

Bloody hell, I'm surprised they're handing over that control at a time when they should be wanting to make a point of carrier and manufacturer free bloat and semi-regular direct updates straight from Google.
Is it just me? Doesn't that seem a little like shooting yourself in the foot before you've even tried walking?

Reactions: 5105973

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
But that's the thing, you gets bits and pieces but not the whole pie like with the Pixel. Pixel 7.1 will not be the same as 7.1 for Nexus. Pixel launcher will not be available on non-Pixel devices. Yes it'll be available in Allo and other parts of Android, but the integration in Pixel is, at least for now, going to be only for Pixel
While that may be true I'm using the Pixel launcher on my N6

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Bloody hell, I'm surprised they're handing over that control at a time when they should be wanting to make a point of carrier and manufacturer free bloat and semi-regular direct updates straight from Google.
Is it just me? Doesn't that seem a little like shooting yourself in the foot before you've even tried walking?

As I've mentioned before: I don't think they had a choice. Remember Apple had to do the same thing, it took a few years before Apple had enough power to make the carriers cave. It's even worse in this situation because the status quo is the carriers doing what ever they want with Android phones. Even Samsung can't prevent them from installing their own apps. Google HAD to make a deal with Verizon and allow them to do what they wanted otherwise these phones wouldn't get anymore traction than the Nexus devices.

This HAS to be a multi-year strategy. Assuming these phones are successful we will see these end up similar to iPhones with updates straight from Google and no carrier bloat ware. That's IF (BIG if) Google can actually stick with it through these initial years. I seriously hope they will as I think we will all benefit from better competition, based on Google's recent history though I am not confident.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
As I've mentioned before: I don't think they had a choice. Remember Apple had to do the same thing, it took a few years before Apple had enough power to make the carriers cave. It's even worse in this situation because the status quo is the carriers doing what ever they want with Android phones. Even Samsung can't prevent them from installing their own apps. Google HAD to make a deal with Verizon and allow them to do what they wanted otherwise these phones wouldn't get anymore traction than the Nexus devices.

This HAS to be a multi-year strategy. Assuming these phones are successful we will see these end up similar to iPhones with updates straight from Google and no carrier bloat ware. That's IF (BIG if) Google can actually stick with it through these initial years. I seriously hope they will as I think we will all benefit from better competition, based on Google's recent history though I am not confident.

Very true indeed. Although with Apple in the beginning, in the UK at least, part of the issue was the infrastructure. Most networks just didn't want to make the investment to upgrade their masts. Though as you say, that would partly be due to the unproven nature of the iPhone in the beginning, which over here didn't really gain traction until the 3GS.

I also agree completely that it would be beneficial for all of us if G managed to get a decent foothold in the market. By which of course I mean with their own brand devices, not Android in general. Should go without saying, but you know what it can be like here ;)

I also share your concerns regarding Googles commitment, which if we're completely honest isn't always great when it comes to hardware. They've made some odd choices in the past and it does seem at times (from the outside at least) that when things get difficult or overly competitive, they bail out and just drop everything to save their self money/trouble/hassle/ whatever the hell it is.
Time will tell I suppose, I do hope they make a go of it.

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Very true indeed. Although with Apple in the beginning, in the UK at least, part of the issue was the infrastructure. Most networks just didn't want to make the investment to upgrade their masts. Though as you say, that would partly be due to the unproven nature of the iPhone in the beginning, which over here didn't really gain traction until the 3GS.

I also agree completely that it would be beneficial for all of us if G managed to get a decent foothold in the market. By which of course I mean with their own brand devices, not Android in general. Should go without saying, but you know what it can be like here ;)

I also share your concerns regarding Googles commitment, which if we're completely honest isn't always great when it comes to hardware. They've made some odd choices in the past and it does seem at times (from the outside at least) that when things get difficult or overly competitive, they bail out and just drop everything to save their self money/trouble/hassle/ whatever the hell it is.
Time will tell I suppose, I do hope they make a go of it.

Here's hoping it'll be like gmail and not like onhub, hangouts, plus, wave, etc...

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
And for the love of all things Tech, Google needs to figure out messaging. It's absolutely embarrassing how many messaging apps that the G has abandoned over the years. I do like Duo though for video messaging.

Last edited:
Reactions: csmith1289

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
probably because only like 3% of the things they create are a success.

Edit: though those things are super crazy successful haha

Yeah the Google graveyard is well populated.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
So I just got my iPhone 7+ last Monday, switched from a Galaxy S7 Edge. Really I love the phone.
Bought a few iPhone 7+ models for family members... but deliberately passed since I find my well debugged, proven 6S+ a suitable placeholder till iPhone 8 is released.

It does everything I want better than my Android phones did and more.
I have a deep longstanding fondness for Apple (notice I didn't say iOS) but take great delight in being addicted and deeply immersed in all platforms. Yet I must say that with very few exceptions when it comes to apps, I find Android 7.x.x running on my Stellar Nexus 6P and 5X outperforms any other smartphone for the resource intense work and play I do with my mobiles. Make no mistake I'm not saying superior for everyone, but hands down my favorite for sure.

Pixel XL?

Cons:
Ugly
Overpriced
Only 5.5" when I'd prefer 5.7" minimum or 6.0" as optimum.

Pros:
4 GB
FAST CPU
Android 7.x.x
Google Assistant!
Flat back No Camera Hump
Googles Fearless Innovative Energy!

I don't care how many projects they create then abandon, Google moves forward...

My Pixel XL will be here soon.

WooHoo, sign me up, I'm in... :D

Reactions: dtjay7

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Lord help me I just pulled the trigger on the black smaller 128 GB Pixel. I think it is horribly plain after looking at a stunning coral blue Note 7 for the last couple of weeks. But I decided to give it a shot because I'm always talking to Siri and Google is even smarter and creepy. I don't know...there was just something about it that appealed to me. My husband thinks I lost my marbles. Whatever. I'm sticking this Pixel on the line my Note 7 was supposed to occupy. If AT&T lets me. If not, it goes on the line that's due for an upgrade and I'll take a Galaxy S-something if AT&T forces me to pick something in trade for the Note 7.

I was going to get an iPhone 7 after taking the Note 7 back, but couldn't bring myself to do it, not yet, for a bunch of different reasons. One huge one being that I use my earbuds and headphones all the damned time and I'm not ready to deal with Bluetooth ones on a regular basis. But I respect iOS. And I'm still going to have it on the best smart phone I've used since my iPhone 4 which is my much loved SE, and my very competent and graceful 6S Plus.

The black Pixel seemed to be the only choice left if I wanted 128 GeeBees. Which is fine. I wanted the black phone anyway. And I wanted the smaller phone. So I got what I wanted.

Well more or less. I think what I wanted most was a Note7 that won't overheat. But that ship has sailed. Sigh.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Lord help me I just pulled the trigger on the black smaller 128 GB Pixel. I think it is horribly plain after looking at a stunning coral blue Note 7 for the last couple of weeks. But I decided to give it a shot because I'm always talking to Siri and Google is even smarter and creepy. I don't know...there was just something about it that appealed to me. My husband thinks I lost my marbles. Whatever. I'm sticking this Pixel on the line my Note 7 was supposed to occupy. If AT&T lets me. If not, it goes on the line that's due for an upgrade and I'll take a Galaxy S-something if AT&T forces me to pick something in trade for the Note 7.

I was going to get an iPhone 7 after taking the Note 7 back, but couldn't bring myself to do it, not yet, for a bunch of different reasons. One huge one being that I use my earbuds and headphones all the damned time and I'm not ready to deal with Bluetooth ones on a regular basis. But I respect iOS. And I'm still going to have it on the best smart phone I've used since my iPhone 4 which is my much loved SE, and my very competent and graceful 6S Plus.

The black Pixel seemed to be the only choice left if I wanted 128 GeeBees. Which is fine. I wanted the black phone anyway. And I wanted the smaller phone. So I got what I wanted.

Well more or less. I think what I wanted most was a Note7 that won't overheat. But that ship has sailed. Sigh.
In an unexpected turn of events I got a very brief few minutes of hands on experience with both Pixel models today.

In person they look much better than they photograph. It cleared up my biggest curiosity even though it was never a concern. I've always been highly focused on functionality over style, thus it's the native Google Assistant unique to the Pixel phones that's very compelling for me.

Now more than ever, I'm super happy to be an early adopter.

Kurzadilla

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2016
I actually think it looks like a step down from the Nexus 6P. You could probably find a Nexus 6P for cheaper running the same software and then keep your iPhone 7+ and just use the 6P as your toy on the side.

Where is the thumbs down button? This is so wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.