Someone Help Me Please

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by someonehelpme11, Aug 7, 2007.

1. someonehelpme11 macrumors newbie

i know this isnt the best place to go but im desperate, i cant afford vet or anything, my dog is very sick and i dont know what to do, my mom could care less about it and all she cares about is money, someone please help

my dog is very sick, she does random choking sounds, like breathing in and out very fast for 10 seconds and then she stops, she sometimes goes to eat her food after it happens so im guessing its something in her stomach, she seems really bothered by this and very agitated, it seem to have started after she ate some beef from the bbq the other day, do you think this could have something to do with it? if so what can i do to help her, shes been like this for 3 days now

2. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

The BBQ didn't by any chance include ribs did it?

I left some ribs out once and my dog must have grabbed them off the table. I didn't think anything of it until I heard him start make choking sounds a few days later. Later that day I discovered piles of vomit on the floor with some 1 inch square chunks of white in it. Got brave and stabbed one of them with a fork and found that it was kinda hard. Thats when I realized that it was pieces of cartilage from the purloined ribs. I didn't have to do anything to help him though it all though, he took care of all the purging himself. I think that he ate some grass first, which is usually what he does when he knows he's gotta chuck up. I think it helps.

Maybe your mom would do something about it if your dog were to sleep on her bed and keep making retching sounds. That would sure motivate me!

Also kinda sounds like your dog might also be a bone stuck in her throat.:confused: Good luck to you both.

3. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

That does not sound that good, does your dog poop or pee? If not it is probably a problem with the stomach, liver, or possibly the intestine and going to a vet would be almost necessary. Chocking sounds are a telltale sign of acute abdominal pains and medication will be required. You can try rubbing the stomach and making sure your dog stays warm. It may pass but, it may not. If your mother won't take the dog to a vet do you have a willing neighbor, or friend? If your dig is urinating far more than usual has your dog eaten any chocolate? Cocoa beans contain theobromine which increases urination, muscle movemnt and heart rate and can often, depending on the amount be fatal. I wish you luck, truly, and hope your dog gets well.

4. shirley macrumors member

Someone help me please

If you live in the UK pop down to your local chemist and ask the pharmacist. ( i work in one we get pet questions all the time)

5. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Your dog needs to be seen by a vet immediately. Tell your mother that having a pet means accepting the responsibility for vet bills. If the money is simply not there, ask the vet for a payment plan, and let him/her know how much you can pay per month.

There's no excuse for not taking the dog to the vet.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

6. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

The pdsa might be a better idea :)

7. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Is your dog a small breed, by any chance? I have a 7 pound poodle and a 6 pound yorkiepoo, and they both act as you describe frequently. Ususally when they get over excited they will seem to be choking in their throats for about ten seconds, then everything is fine. I find that it helps to massage their throats when they have one of these fits, but they always recover and are healthy dogs. It is not uncommon with small breeds, if this is your case.?

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm guessing that if there's a "mom" involved the OP is American. Are there no veterinary charities in the US?

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Haha...haaaahaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you think? There are hardly any medical charities here for people.

10. someonehelpme11 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you everyone

id like to thank you guys for trying to help me, my dog made it :) she was in alot of pain for a few days but she's ok now, thank god

she couldnt eat or drink cause she had an infection in her throat and it hurt her so bad that even if i gently touched her neck, she screamed in pain :(

the antibiotics got her better in 8 days and now shes back to chasing my cats :D ;)

thanks again everyone

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good to hear! I'm glad your dog is better.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Glad to hear it...thanks for checking back in to give us an update.

13. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I'm glad to see your furry friend is back to normal!

14. blumoon macrumors member

Good news, glad your dog is back to normal. Thanks for the update.

15. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Thanks for letting us know, and I'm REALLY glad to hear it's going well now. :)