Someone ignorant, talks about Magic mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by glossywhite, Nov 8, 2009.

1. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

I have *never* seen such a stupid comment about Magic mouse - this guy even says:

Oh, I suppose he's used one, and realised that there *IS* tactile feedback, by way of the click?... :rolleyes:

http://www.linuxloop.com/2009/10/22/buttons-are-not-evil-the-magic-mouse/

2. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

there are a lot of very real problems with the magic mouse

unfortunately this article addresses pretty much none of them

3. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Of course the article addresses none of them. Consider the source. It's a Linux blog.

4. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

So you chose to deride the ignorance of the given article, with further & opposite ignorance?. What exactly is the issue with Linux, that you find you have to bundle all GNU/Linux users together in such a way?.

Posted using Ubuntu 9.10 32bit, which, by the way, you may like to try. :)

PS: I'm 99% a Mac user... for now

5. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

You missed the point. I don't have a problem with Linux; I have a problem with Linux BLOGS that breathlessly attack anything that is a threat to their slice of the world, because it represents a competitive product that's easier/slicker/more powerful/whatever than what they can offer. I have the same problem with Mac blogs that slam Windows 7 because they're threatened by its quality.

I actually meant consider the SOURCE. Had I meant "consider the subject matter" I would have said that.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The Linux establishment (not every user, but the people who write most of these blogs) do seem to automatically take issue with most things that are aesthetically appealing (in particular), as well as anything with popular buzz outside of the Linux world whether or not it's any good. :p OTOH, I have not gotten a chance to try the Magic Mouse yet.

Even if this product did work perfectly, it's highly unlikely to be the kind of thing that a Linux blog would praise.

7. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I have tried the Magic Mouse while giving the new 27" iMac a spin in a shop (huge!). Anyway, I was hoping the Magic Mouse would give my ancient MacBook Pro the benefits of the latest multitouch trackpad but unfortunately it only gives a few extras and it loses some nice features of the old Mighty (umm Apple) Mouse such as the side buttons and the middle click (very important for Unix style copy and paste for instance, or to open a new tab easily in a browser).

Anyway, I thought it was an OK mouse, a little too flat for my big hands though and so I'll stick with the old Bluetooth MM (urrm, AM) that I currently use.

8. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

I cannot see why on earth GNU/Linux users would take issue with this wonderful mouse. Hardware such as this, is OS agnostic, and has nothing to to with GNU/Linux (the proper term, btw - history will show you this) because it is incapable of having a choice regards software installed inside the physical device - I can't really explain what I mean, suffice to say it is a wonderful mouse!.

GNU/Linux users take issue with the massive profits made by proprietory software vendors, who give little, if anything back to the community as a whole, by way of refusing to market their products under the GPL. Closed source, proprietory software is harmful in the long run, as it prevents progress and channels funds directly to the manufacturer of the software, cutting out the human aspect of caring and sharing.

A lot of people really don't understand how GNU/Linux & the GPL work - for those who don't, I would suggest you could spend a FAR worse 2.5 hours, than watching Richard Stallman - the founder of the FSF, explain the whole ethos:

http://manchester.fsuk.org/blog/2008/05/06/free-software-in-ethics-and-society-richard-stallman-manchester-1st-may/

9. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Revolution OS ;)

11. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Wow the only thing funnier than the article are the comments below it!!! :D

And Magic Mouse is awesome.

12. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Yes, but more to the point - Richard Stallman. Also, you may want to watch "The code, Linux" - amazing film.

[​IMG]

13. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

So some guy on a Linux blog goes open-mouth and makes some dumb comments about the Magic Mouse and somehow WE are supposed to listen to a 2.5 hour open-source educational video? Priceless.

14. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Very Stallman-esque, no?

15. Musashi 360 macrumors newbie

I remember a number of persons said about the same thing about the first mouse when it was introduced... "It is not needed, the keyboard is enough, it is useless, pointless, maybe in the future.. etc etc" and here we are now, the mouse being an integral part of a normal computer everywhere (with the exception of laptops and touchscreen computers ofcoarse).

16. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

The article is not the most invigorating review of the Magic Mouse or give great insight into "button-less" mice but I'm really confused as to how you think a click counts as tactile feedback?

17. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

are you serious

18. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

*is* he serious?!. Someone explain the meaning of the word "tactile" to them, please :rolleyes:.

19. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

To killerrobot:

Definition of tactile-(of or relating to or proceeding from the sense of touch) "haptic data"; "a tactile reflex" or (producing a sensation of touch) "tactile qualities"; "the tactual luxury of stroking silky human hair"

also related

Definition of haptic-(of or relating to or proceeding from the sense of touch) "haptic data"; "a tactile reflex"

Essentially tactile feedback is the physical sensation of touching something and related to clicking the mouse it is the actual sensation of clicking. This is still true on the Magic Mouse because you ACTUALLY CLICK IT it just uses touch sensitivity to know WHERE YOU CLICK IT.

20. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Yes, exactamondo!. Teh populus not so informed :p

21. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Thank you, thank you. *Bows in front of everyone* :)

22. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

This mouse would be PERFECT to bundle with Linux Distros....

Plenty of "Tactile Response", sleek design, plenty of buttons and cords. You can even paint it Orange or Brown to match UBUNTU.

[​IMG]

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow! I've never seen one quite like that... did it actually have wires coming out of both ends like that? That would be a PITA....

24. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

It was an old serial mouse. It didn't come out of both ends, no. They just looped it underneath to show the connector. Kind of misleading...

25. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I can also make it click if I sit on it. The click is the result of pushing down on the mouse, not a result of a guide to let you know where you clicked it.

Tactile feedback is so that you can reproduce the exact same result every time from touch without looking. Take away your guide keys on the keyboard and see how well you type without looking. Just because you can click it, doesn't mean you're always clicking it in the same spot.

The key word in the touch sensitivity is that "it" knows where you click.