Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sp-phoneissues

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Something crazy is going on with my iphone. It keeps freezing and then I lose all control of it, but when this happens it will automatically open up applications and in some cases - it has called people and texted.

So far today it has done all of the following when it has been sat on a table, with nothing near it, and nothing touching it:

opening text messages and scrolling through them
deleting and editing my conversation history
entering my contacts and editing (deleting items and selecting new images)
entering my photo gallery and selecting images
opening search
opening safari and connecting to the internet (specifically it typed 'OE' and then connected to OE Wikipedia)
opening notes and copying and pasting items
opening call history and calling people from my 'last dialled'

earlier when i was logged into the twitter application it sent two tweets - i lost all control of the screen and watched as it typed and posted -the first said 'En' and the second said 'E' (not anything dramatic) - but i had no control of it and had to turn it off and restart. Freaked me out.

In addition to this - it was plugged into my mac syncing yesterday. Today when I turned my mac on, the green light next to the webcam will not go off - should I be worried about this?

I reset all the factory settings on the phone and have restarted it loads of times but it's made no difference. I've since removed the sim card and turned the phone off - but i don't know if this is enough.

Any advice or help is gratefully received because im totally freaked out. It's a replacement phone that my insurance company provided to me at the weekend - previously had an iPhone for 2 years with no issues but lost it on a night out. Since sycning the replacement phone I've encountered this 'ghost'

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I think it's actually a malfunction of the capacative sensor, like it's shorting out or something. Very similar behavior occurred on my old Macbook Pro. At first I thought it was being hacked, but then realized there was a pattern to it and it was occurring even when the system was completely disconnected from the internet. It also only involved the mouse (touchpad), there were no key hits being registered. However, the iPhone uses an on screen keyboard, so anything's fair game.

sslanchi

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
It is common for spirits to try and make contact through electronic devices.

Ryox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
UK
You probably have an hardware issue.

Green isight light staying on is worrying, as someone could be watching you all the time...

shadowbird423

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
Chapel Hill
Something crazy is going on with my iphone. It keeps freezing and then I lose all control of it, but when this happens it will automatically open up applications and in some cases - it has called people and texted.

So far today it has done all of the following when it has been sat on a table, with nothing near it, and nothing touching it:

opening text messages and scrolling through them
deleting and editing my conversation history
entering my contacts and editing (deleting items and selecting new images)
entering my photo gallery and selecting images
opening search
opening safari and connecting to the internet (specifically it typed 'OE' and then connected to OE Wikipedia)
opening notes and copying and pasting items
opening call history and calling people from my 'last dialled'

earlier when i was logged into the twitter application it sent two tweets - i lost all control of the screen and watched as it typed and posted -the first said 'En' and the second said 'E' (not anything dramatic) - but i had no control of it and had to turn it off and restart. Freaked me out.

In addition to this - it was plugged into my mac syncing yesterday. Today when I turned my mac on, the green light next to the webcam will not go off - should I be worried about this?

I reset all the factory settings on the phone and have restarted it loads of times but it's made no difference. I've since removed the sim card and turned the phone off - but i don't know if this is enough.

Any advice or help is gratefully received because im totally freaked out. It's a replacement phone that my insurance company provided to me at the weekend - previously had an iPhone for 2 years with no issues but lost it on a night out. Since sycning the replacement phone I've encountered this 'ghost'

Are you jailbroken?
If so, do a full restore (Im sorry, you will have to..) If not, do a full restore and dont sync your stuff over for a while. That should help to diagnose a problem and actually provide good info for Apple if you need to call them.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
It's the other personalities you have but of whom you are not aware?
Alcoholic black outs?
Fugue state?

Restore. If recurs, return.

sp-phoneissues

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
It shouldn't be jailbroken - i've only had it a few days as was sent by the insurance company, but could have been by a previous owner as not sure if they've sent me a refurbed one.

Will try resetting everything. Just weird that my computer and my phone go mad at the same time.

if that fails, i'll take it to a medium.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
When the phone is switched off / Black Screen. Ask the question; If someone is around, please unlock the phone now. and If it unlocks then you may be onto something.

1. Spirits are trying to contact you.
2. You might have the next upcoming Artificial Intelligence phone :)

Reactions: Will22

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I would just like to say that most of the replies in this thread are much more awesome than mine was.

ldobson

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
You should place your iPhone in a plasic container and cover it with sage. This should banish any spirits that may be attached to it. Hopefully your phone *WILL* give up the ghost.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
i think i know why.

the spirit of your old iPhone is pissed that you lost/damaged it that it's trying to take revenge. next time take care of your things and you won't have any possessed electronics :rolleyes:

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I'd get it checked out by one of the Geniuses there's a good one called Tangina :p

tangina.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.