Someone is getting a new display...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Goettel, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Goettel macrumors member

Hi all,

Came home from college today and opened my macbook pro only to find this on the screen. At first I thought it was graphics corruption but then realized that just moving the display would make the colors change and the bands disappear. Oh well, not too great of a timing as the end of the session is approaching fast and I need this computer for college. Good thing I can borrow my dad's MBP.

Attached Files:

2. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

that sucks. Well atleast apple is fast when i sent in my macbook to get replaced it took one day to get the box, one day for repair, and got it the day after that, so 3 days, pretty good if you ask me

3. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Ouch! That's terrible. I trust that Apple will fix that in short time.

4. magamo macrumors 6502

Oh, no. It reminds me of when I accidentally hit my old NES while playing a game. It gave me similar bands to the pic.

By the way, I can see your real "nic" name.

5. Goettel thread starter macrumors member

Ya I know, it's kind of hard to photoshop my name out with this huge line across the display.;)

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Thats not a broken display, the ribbon cable that connects the logic board (motherboard) to the display is broken or twisted, it wont be difficult for Apple to fix it for you, just take it to a Genius in an Apple store if you live near one. Either way it doesnt matter because even if you dont have Applecare the warranty will cover it for you.

Do you open your screen far back?

7. Goettel thread starter macrumors member

No I don't really push it back very far. Isn't the ribbon cable part of the actual display? If it has become frayed or pinched, doesn't the whole display assembly need to be replaced?

8. magamo macrumors 6502

No doubt about it. Hope a Genius will fix it in a flash!

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I had the same thing happen to my old 15" and the whole screen didn't need replacing, but it does take a Genius to repair because the screens are built into the outer shell of the laptop casing.

10. Goettel thread starter macrumors member

11. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Nope, but i only used it for about 2 months after that anyway and now use my 17"

Try plugging it into an external screen, such as a tv, monitor, projector etc and see if the problem still happens, then you'll be able to confirm this is the issue.

12. Goettel thread starter macrumors member

I used screen sharing from another mac and it was fine. Also, just moving the display to a certain angle (yay just found the right one) makes it go away.