Someone Just Paid Over $6,000 for a Steve Jobs Business Card

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 14, 2018.

1. kagharaht macrumors 6502a

Dumb but it’s his or hers money. They can waste it if they wish.

2. H.E. Pennypacker macrumors 6502

H.E. Pennypacker

I spend that much on aftershave a week.

3. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

Maybe Steve's DNA is on it? Quick to the clone farm!:D

4. nexusrule macrumors 6502

In reality if he spent 6k on a business card is probably several hundred of thousands richer than you.

5. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

If you do stuff like this, the government should officially declare that you have too much money and confiscate 90% of your stuff. Plus make you use Android.

6. redneckitengineer macrumors regular

redneckitengineer

Still doesn’t make sense to flush money down a toilet...no matter how rich you are. At least buy some valuable artwork.

7. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

i would say it's excessive... but there are people who literally have millions, so why not, it's pocket change for them.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This doesn’t shock me. Jobs memorabilia has a strong following for some. I think he really had a strong impact on the world around us and influencing the tech world that was changed forever.

9. groadyho Suspended

groadyho

Guess this is where I'm a Debbie Downer.
    I cant understand the waste when people are starving, struggling, straining, and homeless.
    The human species still has so far to go.

10. SoundJudgment macrumors regular

SoundJudgment

I see he had his Google Voice number printed on the card as well.

11. charleswhalley macrumors member

charleswhalley

His may get $6 each at best!

12. edgonzalez32 macrumors regular

Same reason why people spend money on that one comic, book or vinyl. Passion for that thing/company/content .

13. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Dang. I bought one for $100 in 2015 that had no CEO title. The person I bought it from got it from her dad who worked at Apple in the 90s. It was described as his interim business card, just after he was re-hired but before he was made CEO.

I looked at it now and then but decided to sell it after a while. I got $300 for it and I thought that was great (more like $250 after eBay fees.

Oddly enough, the buyer was Sam Raimi’s son. Weirder still, after he paid for it, he asked me how I knew it was real, which is generally a question you ask before buying. True story.

I should have held onto it.

upload_2018-12-14_17-50-32.jpeg

Attached Files:

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You’re not a downer, you’re a realist. For the majority, that type of money is unreasonable to spend for something so unappealing per se. For some, money isn’t an option and it’s expendable on whatever they find value in, even for items like a paper business card. I see this card being for a _very_ strong Apple enthusiast.

15. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

If you’ve ever spent a portion of your income on any decorative or collectible item, you probably spent the exact same proportion of your income on it that the buyer of the SJ card spent. And there are people in the world who would deem your inexpensive purchase as waste.

16. jlc1978 macrumors 68020

jlc1978

And what makes artwork valuable? Demand, just like this business card. To some, art speaks to them and to others it's just another thing on the wall that gatehrs dust.

17. groadyho Suspended

groadyho

Nope! I don't waste $$$ that way. As a matter of fact if I'm ever that shallow you can poke my eyes out.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2018 ---
    Lol, you can't equate a business card to art. That's like saying iphones are Ferraris. Lame

18. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Shallow? Oh please get over yourself. So the ONLY thing in your home is a folding chair and a card table... You don’t a SINGLE non-essential object... Right.

19. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

To those arguing the waste of money better spent on social causes, I ask this, why can’t they do both? My wife and I do ok financially and buy our share of unneeded objects, but we spend hours of personal time and money helping poor, underprivileged and homeless people. Just because this is what you see them spending money on, doesn’t mean they don’t bother helping others too.

20. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Inflation means that the $4 it was worth in 1984 should be worth about $10 today. I bet you could get $50 for it.

I checked on ebay just now - I found 8 of them have been sold. The lowest went for $28 while the highest was $65. Median $39, mean $38.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...&_fosrp=1&_nkw=First+edition+macworld&_sop=16

Steve Job's signature seems to give it value far more than the crummy condition takes it away.

21. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Meanwhile...oliver twist died of starvation...

22. cfurlin macrumors regular

cfurlin

23. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I recieved an email reply from Steve Jobs back in 2010. I still have a copy of it. I wonder how much it's worth? :D

24. Sill macrumors 6502a

I think this would be an excellent opportunity for you to learn some macroeconomics. Find out how desire creates demand that causes people to spend money on things they want. Figure out a way to add value to society by creating something that does what people want, does it better than anything before it, and in a way that causes people to immediately prioritize their needs so they can accommodate that want. Build those products, create jobs, raise the standard of living for everyone concerned.

And if you were Steve Jobs, you'd have been able to figure out what people wanted/needed before the people themselves ever did, and you'd have built insanely great things that drove entire markets - and even nations - to buy things. You'd have built an entire ecosystem that made thousands of people millionaires and even billionaires. You'd have brought a lot of happiness to people by creating products that were a joy to use (in most cases).

In doing this, maybe you might figure out why a simple business card might have meant enough for one guy to have spent $6k on it. I'm betting it means more to him than a lot of what passes for modern "art" would ever mean.

25. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I'm glad I'm not the only one that can spend half a Friday doing needless statistics to confirm a hunch on a mundane topic.

Why wonder when you can know, I figure...