Someone Keeps Trying to Hack into my Apple Account Almost Daily, Locking My Apple Account.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, May 15, 2017.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

hi all,

So I've had the same Apple ID for well over ten years now and use it to log into all my iOS devices and MacBook too. Recently, while using any of my Apple devices, I'll get a pop up box saying that my account has been locked and that I need to reset my password.

This has been happening consistently at about 1am eastern time, I'm located in Los Angeles however.

I'm convinced it an ex girlfriend that would always peer over my shoulder trying to get my password and though she hasn't successfully logged into my account, I get the feeling it may be only a matter of time.

Obviously I already know the advice here will be to change my password to something totally new and even turn on 2 factor authentication. I hate that I get locked out of my account every other night.

Is there any way to determine exactly where these attempted logins are taking place? If the was the case I could easily present her with proof and convince her to back off.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

No. I wouldn't even know how to approach them regarding this situation.

Btw, since I originally posted this thread I've since been locked out again. Of course all I do is enter my password and I'm back using my iPad and iPhone and mac again but I'll have to log back in every time this happens and it's all most likely because my ex is on the other side of the country, late at night, trying to gain access into my account.

The reason I'm sure she's so persistent is because she knows that my iCloud contains a treasure trove of all my photos, find my friends features, emails, tons of pages docs not limited to journal entries etc.

If there was a way Apple could verify the location of where these attempted logins are taking place, would be of great help to confirm, simply because she's the 1 only person I know residing in this particular east coast state.

4. chscag macrumors 68000

You're probably going to wind up having to obtain a new Apple ID. That's a real pain but unless you want to continue getting locked out and having to reset your password, I don't know what else you can really do. Apple is not going to be much help and will probably advise you to do the same thing.

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Noooooooooo!!!

Considering I've had the same account for over 10 years, I've spent probably thousands of dollars on iTunes albums and hundreds of Apps.

Not mention the terabytes of files Ive currently got organized in my iCloud folders.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Call them and explain the situation. There are things they can do there end to help.

Also have you tried the police?

7. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I would definitely call the police but not without any shred of proof, otherwise it's just hearsay. But my gut tells me it's her. She always wanted access, though it may be my fault too for gloating how amazing my iCloud system setup was from the very beginning.

8. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Apple probably has the means to locate and pinpoint the person trying to break into your account. But guess what? Apple is notoriously tight when it comes to "security and privacy". They won't even HELP the FBI unlock or open a terror suspect's locked iPhone in order to help reveal info on that suspect.

So I doubt they will help give you the private personal information to track down the person trying to break into yours. The only way I can think of them doing so, giving you the information to "reveal" another private party, is if you had some court ruling on your end, or you secured a court's (cease and desist) warrant against her. Maybe in that case, Apple might reluctantly agree to help you "out" this ex and pinpoint her location, address, and computer she is using. But is all that work really worth it on your end?

You might just scare her. Send her a text, or even an email… and tell her that you are getting a judge's cease and desist order against her. Or that you hired a Private Investigator who is tracking her down, so that she can be nailed for her illegal and intruding activity. Would that work?

9. bopajuice, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  10. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

The "changing your Apple ID" is probably the best way to start from a clean slate. Yes, it's very painful. It's more painful than moving to a new house.

But…. in my experience, if you were able to explain your situation to Apple, and if they agree, Apple is VERY capable of transferring all your previous purchases to the new Apple ID. I know this from experience. Back in the OLD iTunes Days, when all albums were not yet saved to the Cloud, I had moved and bought a new Mac, and then I changed my Apple ID with the new Mac. I forgot to "back up" most of my past iTunes purchases (which in those days is what Apple told you that you MUST do). I pleaded my case to Apple. And after about a week of reviewing my case, a Senior Apple Rep told me that since I've been a long-term verified customer in good standing, they will give me 1 week grace period to re-activate ALL my iTunes download links. Right there I was able to click and download like 300+ tracks from past purchases. I was extremely happy with how they handled it.

11. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

It's been a long time, I really don't want to call her.
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2017 ---
    Crazily enough, she knows about my MacRumors handle too and knows I used to be a lot more active in this forum than I am now so I wouldn't be surprised if she's reading all my recent MR threads, including this one.

12. decafjava macrumors 68020

decafjava

Why not try changing your password and adding two-factor authentication? At least that would only allow certain devices and I think if I got your situation correct may be sufficient. Otherwise you have to breath deep and go to Apple to have them help you transfer all your stuff to a new ID.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Can't you turn on two factor, would that help?

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Turning 2 factor on could be bad in this situation

15. aristobrat macrumors G5

AFAIK, you can simply change the email address you use to login with your Apple ID -- you don't actually have to replace the entire account (to include the purchases, iCloud, etc).

Maybe create a new temporary gmail account, switch your Apple ID over to that for a few weeks, maybe she'll give up, then switch your Apple ID back to whatever email account you're using today...

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 9.24.33 AM.png

16. eyoungren, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You can also change the email that Apple ID uses.

It's simply a matter of logging on here: https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin adding a new email address and then switching the id to that address. Then delete the former email address.

Of course you have to change the Apple ID on all your devices, but it won't dissassociate your purchases.

I've done this in the past (switching emails) but not for the reasons you mention. It's fairly easy to do.

Once the former email address is gone, the old credentials will no longer be valid for your Apple ID and it will stop locking you out (because that email address is no longer assocated with your account). Of course, you'll want to use an email address others won't know about and that you have access to.

17. decafjava macrumors 68020

decafjava

I think aristobrat and eyoungren have the best and least painful solution for you.