Someone left a review for App w/my acct! (Freaked out!)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Turnpike, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

I leave reviews, about once or twice a month for apps, tv shows, and movies... I'm the only one on my iTunes account, only use a Macbook or iPhone, no viruses, etc. BUT....

I noticed that "I" left a review for an app a day or two ago (so it's not like I'd have forgotten) which I NEVER DID. It has a long raving review like an app seller would want it to have, talking about the "community" of people using it, etc....

It's an app for tracking periods (I'm a guy) and I definitely did NOT leave it. Looking back, there aren't any other reviews left by me that I didn't write...

Is it a common thing, that this happens? How could it have happened? It wasn't left as a joke by someone else, at the time this was noticed by me there were 5-6 other positive reviews, now noticing it again today, they've been getting a hand ful of positive reviews everyday, more than Microsoft One Note or other super popular apps.

Definitely a hack or virus or something, but can anyone tell me how/where they got into my iTunes account?

The app, by the way, is EVE by Glow for those who are wondering, and they get 99% glowing long-winded reviews consistently. Also, the app shows "get" not "download" on my account so I can see that I never actually downloaded the app. Whoever got access was only to the review section.

Any info would be appreciated, for my peace of mind and so I can keep my stuff secure... thanks!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

The first thing I'd do would be to change your Apple ID password and set up 2-step verification if you haven't already. I would then call Apple and advise them what's happened. If the app gets glowing reviews consistently from fake reviews, this is against Apple's T&Cs and they would look to shut down the developer for this. Furthermore they may be able to elucidate how somebody could have had access to your Apple ID.

3. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Yep! Changed password and everything... now I'm noticing their slew of positive reviews all came in over a 3-4 day period. Jan 8-12 or so.

4. 3568358 macrumors 6502

The ONLY thing you need to do is change your Apple ID password. When you do that EVERY device linked to the account is kick out completely. Then youre safe :)

5. rhp2424 macrumors regular

rhp2424

Pun intended?