Someone Make Me Feel Good About my Purchase!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nyycavo24, Jan 21, 2008.

1. nyycavo24 macrumors member

Hey Everyone,

I could not wait ANY longer and I had to purchase my new MBP this past weekend at the Apple store. My wife was eligible for the student discount so we also got $200 off.

The specs are as follows:

15.4 inch widescreen
    2.4 GhZ Core 2 Duo
    2 GB RAM (I plan on maxing it out to 4GB via Crucial in the next 2-3 weeks).
    256 MB NVIDIA
    160GB HD

With all the news swirling about a new MBP in the coming months, should I still feel good about my purchase for the future?

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Why do you need validation?

Yes it is a great machine (I have the same exact model). No regrets whatsoever and I am keeping it for at least 3 years.

You and your wife will enjoy it very much.

3. one1 macrumors 65816

You saved two bones and have a brand new monster machine...... if you need anything else we can't help with that..........

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Thats great man. High Five! Woooooo! Don't listen to these twerps in here being over-analytical. You made the right choice!

5. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

You should feel great about it!

It's a great machine and if you wait for updates and the next big thing, you'll wait forever.

Good for you, good choice.

Cheers.

6. Skeets macrumors newbie

I feel you, man.

Just started a new job last Monday and they offered to pay for a new laptop of my choosing. I really needed a new machine, as my iBook G4 is on its last legs. I was ordering Tuesday regardless. I picked up the same machine as you, but with the 250gb HDD.

On the bright side, we've got very capable laptops that will work well for the next 24 to 30 months. The less than 10% difference in performance speed will be difficult to detect, depending on what you're used to. There's always something better just around the corner so it's impossible to have the best forever.

Also, if the MBPs rev in the next week or so we'll be able to upgrade for only the restocking fee.

7. Catch macrumors 6502

It is a superb machine and it will do everything you throw at it. Congratulations!

Regards,

C

8. Sannekita macrumors regular

Sannekita

it's a great machine and you'll be able to use it already!
    That's great, don't feel bad!

9. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

Great meachine. The 15" 2.4 is the sweet spot of the entire line of Apple computers, IMO.

10. Osprey macrumors 6502

Absolutely awesome machine and you should not regret it one bit. No one knows what the future holds and you can absolutely drive yourself crazy waiting for the next best thing. Now go have fun using your new MBP and don't look back.

11. nyycavo24 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't know that Apple had that policy in place. Thats interesting (I won't hold my breath though for an update).

Thank you for all the encouragement, I just wanted to make sure I bought the right machine, and it sounds like I did.

12. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Nope, no comfort from here. You #$@&ed up!

The MBP is due for the update which it's bound to get in the coming weeks (not months, see latest rumor on front page). I'm sure you saw discussions here about whether or not to wait but you went against everyones advice and got one anyway.

Bad choice. Sorry, it's a truth.

13. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

It's his decision and he might need the computer now.

14. nyycavo24 thread starter macrumors member

After looking at all the comments and also considering that I am not a heavy gamer anymore, I think I can probably get by with what I have.

As long as I can run my video editing operation off of this thing (which ive been assured with 4Gigs of RAM this is MORE than enough), then I will feel alright.

And, not to start a new thread about this, but those new chips that are set to ship are probably going to be out of my price range anyway. From what I hear, although faster, a lot of their benefit is derived from the fact that they run cooler.

I also heard that the other major update is the new touchpad...some have suggested this may be remedied through software patch or upgrade?

15. TSE macrumors 68030

Starving kids in Africa would kill for even any computer. Be thankful.

16. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

Yeah you always have to deal with a newer faster computer coming out. Whats the difference if it happens in a couple months, when you will have your computer for a couple of years. Most computers aren't the fastest thing out there. Its always best to just buy a computer when you need one. No regrets.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I echo this statement. Buyer's remorse seems to come when people either buy something they simply cannot afford and never could have or when they bought something they really didn't need. I don't see this being your case so you and your wife should enjoy the new machine. Besides, even if it gets an update come spring time it will still work the same as it did the day you bought it.

Congrats.

18. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I think they would choose food before computers if they were starving.

19. nyycavo24 thread starter macrumors member

Haha, Touche.

20. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I disagree cause I have a hard time buying myself anything without feeling a little guilty. Except beer. That one, I will admit, is always a guilt-less purchase.

21. zedsdead macrumors 68040

The current Macbook Pro's are more than powerful enough to last for a few years without problems. In fact, the next lineup seems to be likely to be getting redesigned, so that could be a plus for you (if you like the Macbook Air keyboard) or a negative depending on what the thing looks like.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I just received my new MacBook Pro this morning. It is great. Even if Apple releases updates tomorrow, my MBP will still do everything that I need or want it to. So relax, and enjoy your new computer.

23. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

The very minor upgrades apple is working on will have little to no bearing on performance. The 2.4ghz chip in your laptop is basically the same speed as the 2.4ghz penryn for 95% of ALL tasks including graphic arts, etc.

The major difference will be a longer battery life of about 15 to 25 minutes.

RAM is not changing. Drive sizes will be basically the same.

A case-redesign in this next iteration is highly unlikely.

The multi-touch track pad will be nice for a few things such as browsing images (I have this on my iPhone) but for the majority of tasks multitouch will need evolution.

Since I use a wireless keyboard and mouse with my MBP, multitouch is of little use for me. Don't be surprised to see wireless multitouch for your machine very soon.

You bought a great system: I have one very similar.

You lost NOTHING> You have a machine now instead of 2 months from now when the new MBP will realistically arrive at your door.

Plus, Penryn has had problems: you have a rock solid system. No bugs to be found.

Enjoy it.

Save for the real upgrade which happens in about a year or so.