Someone please explain this to me

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cfII, Aug 25, 2011.

1. cfII macrumors regular

Im trying to send out my resume. After COUNTLESS other attempts I eventually had to email it to myself of another PC when I open it on my MAC the margins are all f'ed up and its on like 5 different pages. WTF! this is a word doc and im pissed because everyone is like "no no macs are compatible with word docs" FML

SO what can I do is there software I can buy? settings I can adjust ?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Most likely a formatting issue on your end, I've never had trouble with my documents coming out differently on any computer, be it a Mac or PC.

So yeah, everyone telling you .doc and .docx is perfectly supported is right. You need not buy any software, nor any settings you need to adjust, apart perhaps from your way of formatting documents.

What version of Office are you on?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What software are you using to open the document?

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You should be sending out your resume as a PDF anyway, otherwise people can edit it.

5. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

Exactly. When you send your résumé in PDF (Portable Document Format), computers on any platform can read it and it will look the same on all the computers. The last thing you want to do is send your résumé in Word format and show them your weak Word skills. For example, they can open it up and click the Show All Non-Printing characters button and see you used the spacebar instead of using tabs or you used tabs when you should have created a table etc.

6. cfII thread starter macrumors regular

If somebody did this to my resume I wouldnt WANT to work for them

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

That's not the point; the point is, you simply are doing it wrong.

People who receive resumes that aren't formatted properly or even delivered properly will just throw that thing away.

Jobs are at the top of people's list of things they want but cannot have, unfortunately, and when you send in a resume as a simple document, it shows that you aren't educated enough in the field of applying for a job or that you simply don't care.

Now I'm not saying you apply to either of those things, but it's common knowledge on how you go about sending in an application and the measures you take to prevent "problems" from occurring.

The resumes pass through people before reaching the final destination, depending on who you send it to and in what format, so you have to take the preventive measures to ensure that your stuff gets to where it needs to be the right way.

Kind of like putting insurance on the mail. You can't just say, "why would I send it with USPS if I "have" to put insurance on it?" They should be careful already.

Things happen, and living by that logic isn't going to get you anywhere.

8. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

You won't know they checked the formatting on your résumé.
    You simply won't be called for an interview.
    You're getting excellent advice. I would listen to it.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I like to overachieve. Whenever I send resumes directly to individuals I export it as PDF/A which is archival format. Ensures no weird things are attached and includes fonts. Resulting file is sometimes large but they open.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

And they wouldn't want to hire a worker that can't use Word properly. Learn to format correctly, it makes every document come out perfect on any printer or computer, and it's actually faster than using the space bar and enter like a maniac.

My mother works for human resources in a large insurance company. If there is a single typo, spelling mistake, grammar error, etc, on a résumé, she throws it away without even looking at it. Same goes for shoddy formatting.

11. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I've had to review many résumés at work, and it's true...if there's a single mistake, it goes into the trash. And I would never take a Word file from someone. I work in Graphic Design, and have to deal with both PCs and Macs regularly. There are definitely some problems going back and forth between the two platforms in Word, especially if you decide to use anything other than the most basic fonts. It also depends on which version of Word you have and which version the other person will be opening it in.

The advice you've gotten here is absolutely correct—send a PDF with the fonts embedded. It's the best way to ensure that they'll see your document the way you intended it to look. You're trying to make a good first impression, so do things the right way.

12. unixperience macrumors regular

if you are using office... then that is a bit strange, if you are using some other program... open office, pages, then yeah your formatting is going to be out the window.

And just as a side note, office 2010/2011 .docx actually isn't the same as 07/08 docx 2010 isn't always backwards compatible. There are some features in 10/11 that won't work in an older version of word, but MS elected to keep the same file format name. 07/08 will open fine in either version. so .doc .docx isn't the same all the time.

13. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Thanks for the PDF tip guys, I'm going to do that from now on.

14. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Then you must be independently wealthy and not need a job. Get over yourself! I have reviewed resumes, and if the formatting on them is sketchy then I will show the details and see that someone doesn't know how to property use Word. Honestly, if you want a job, take the time to be sure your resume is immaculate! The first and foremost thing you can do is to put it into PDF form. You know what it looks like and what the person you're sending it to will see when they open it. Every document I send any more goes as a PDF unless changes will be made by others. You might do yourself a favor by going to your local community college and taking a class in how to prepare a proper resume, plus you could really lose the attitude! You asked a question and people here are just trying to help you.