Someone please explain....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lakers24, Jul 2, 2008.

1. lakers24 macrumors newbie

Some one please explain to me why I shouldn't be eligible for the 3G IPhone at the 199/299 price. I have a family plan with 3 lines, and I added the 3rd line 2 months ago and DID NOT get a phone from AT&T. I knew I was going to be adding the IPhone on this line so I decided to use an old phone. So now I call AT&T because the website states I am not due for an upgrade, so AT&T then tells me I can have an upgrade to any phone BUT the IPhone. How does this make sense? Why shouldn't I be allowed to get the IPhone at the 199/299 price when I never received anything from AT&T in the first place? It makes sense that my other 2 lines aren't allowed to get the IPhone because I did upgrade those phones a few months ago and got them at a discounted price but I don't understand why I can't for this line. Someone please explain.....

2. b1gted macrumors regular

b1gted

Are add on lines that only cost $9.99 even considered for upgrades?

I see the primary account as being the only one that really is considered for upgrades since it is the one that is actually on the bill. And you just upgraded it. Maybe that is how they look at it.

I don't know though, since I have no additional lines on my primary account to know how upgrades work for those additions.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Did you ask AT&T when you called them? What did they say the reason was?

4. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I moved to AT&T last year to get an iPhone. Soon after I moved to a Family Plan to add my mother for $9.99 and got her a cheap phone at that time.

MY phone is upgradable to an iPhone and hers tells us the date (in about a year) that she can upgrade. This seems to fall into what they have explained.

5. lakers24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, whenever you add a new line your new phone line is due for a free upgrade. So if I were to add a 4th line to my account, I could get the IPhone at the 199/299 price or any other phone.

6. lakers24 thread starter macrumors newbie

They said that they don't have the "over-ride" for the IPhone but they can over-ride any other phone on the market. Not sure why not the IPhone...

7. Spongey817 macrumors regular

Yes...

8. lakers24 thread starter macrumors newbie

We've been with AT&T now for over 2 years. So after a year, both the primary line and the secondary line were allowed for an upgrade. A 3rd additional line was added 2 months ago, which would be allowed for the upgrade which they are not allowing me to put it towards the IPhone.