Someone please help me understand this rediculous bill (scans included)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Foamer, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Foamer macrumors regular

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Looks like you have a 450 minute plan, but ended up using quite a bit more than 450 minutes during peak periods (daytime, weekdays, non-M2M). As a result, there's about $140 in overages for this.

It also looks like you don't have any Rollover. Is this a new account?

the interesting thing is, if I'm reading this bill right, there's actually about 79 minutes in overage that went unbilled anyway.

3. Raphy macrumors member

Well it does actually add up...the question is how you went over by 312 mins. Because the charge for those minutes come out to $140.40.

There are also a few other charges in there that I'm not quite sure what they mean. i think your best bet is to call customer care and talk to someone and have them walk you through it. Make sure to find out early on how many rollover minutes you had. That could help your argument for them charging you on those 312 minutes.

Sorry i couldn't be more help but not enough info there (i'm sure you don't want to post more because you'd have to redact so much info that it wouldn't be convenient)

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The $5 administrative fee likely means the OP paid his bill with a sales rep instead of using a payment kiosk, phone, web, or mailing a payment in.

The $36.00 "restoral fee" is assessed when an account is restored after being suspended for non-payment or other reasons.

5. bbskip22 macrumors newbie

The 529 is listed under the 450 and Rollover section. 450 + 79 = 529. You weren't billed for those first 529 minutes during the weekdays, but you then spent 312 minutes on top of the first 529, leading to the extra $140.40 at .45 per minute.

Check your call logs and it should show that you talked for a total of 1,353 minutes. If that is the case I would up your minutes to the next plan which is 900 rollover minutes and only an extra $20 per month or don't talk during the daytime as it seems 62% of your phone minutes happen during the weekday, when you have the least amount of minutes (Hindsight being 20/20 - this bill would have roughly paid for the first 7 months of the extra minutes).

Same thing happened to me, and I waited an extra month to see if I could change the call habits and got stuck with another big bill. Good luck with your decision, but your bill looks accurate, assuming their call logs are correct.

6. Foamer thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I understand that, but I still know I did not use that many minutes, and have never had the phone disconnected, so I dont know why there is a $36 charge for reconnect.

I use on average 150-200 minutes a month.

Just checked the detailed bill online and noticed a TON of INCOMING calls from myself that I know I have not made; each 1 minute each. Does VVM call itself or something whenever getting voicemails?

I have also noticed MANY calls from September that I know for a fact were made in July. They were calls to my lawyers office due to a nasty breakup with the ex-fiance. I have not called him since July 25th, yet there are many 30-45minute calls showing up on the detailed bill saying I called him in September.

I think ATT is all wonkey or something. I just noticed the incorrect calls in the log and will be calling them tomorrow. It is almost like they piled a ton of calls from previous months onto this bill for some reason.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Nope, Visual Voicemail uses data only and doesn't count against minutes.

If that's the case, then definitely call them and have the bill corrected. Best of luck, and I hope it works out for you.

8. Foamer thread starter macrumors regular

Any clue why there would be 87 separate incoming calls from my own phone number ranging from 1 to 30 minutes each in length? Surely I am not talking to myself on my phone.

Also have 217 calls that I know for a fact (and the courts/lawyer can back me up) I did not make during this billing period, and in fact made a couple months ago. They were calls to my ex-fiance and the lawyer. We have had restraining orders on each other since mid-july, and if I made these calls this billing period like the bill says I did; I would be sitting in jail right now.

All these calls add up, and if I add them all up, and then subtract them from my bill, it gives me 373 minutes used last month out of my 450.

I called them earlier and they wouldnt budge on the bill, but now that I just realized that they are billing me for calls made a couple months prior, and calls to myself, I am going to try again tomorrow.

9. greggov macrumors member

ya know, I just looked at my online statement (my billing cycle for this month, oct 3 -nov 3) and as of today, it says I've made about 35 calls to myself, each ranging from 1-15 minutes, most of them under 7. The only possible thing I can think of is an incoming call on call waiting?

Luckily, I'm not anywhere near my minute total for the month (169/450), and I have about 1,200 roll over minutes, but thats not really the point. What are these calls?

I think I may be calling at&t tomorrow too...

EDIT--
    Check these out, apparently we're not the only ones... I'm not entirely sure this is a good reason, but appears possible?
    wrong numbers
    incoming numbers

10. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

It seems to me that they have an error in their system. You should have solved this problem after the first bill. You didnt understand your first bill either yet you paid it thinking the problem will dissapear. I dont know you but, I know you couldnt have gone over your minutes because you used less than 500 N/W minutes. I dont know what you are waiting for, but you need to take your call details and go over it call by call, and matching the numbers on it with your address book. ATT/ Cingular are thieves so you have to pay attention to your billing always. I was once wrongfully billed by them, i had to take the case all the way to their HQ. Good luck, your gonna need it.

11. Foamer thread starter macrumors regular

That doesnt make sense to me. I only use the phone to contact 7 individual people, nobody else, and I do not recieve calls from anybody else, nor does anybody else have my number.

All numbers show up correctly on the screen and I highly doubt they are blocking their caller ID or even have the knowledge to, yet there are many calls from myself even at times and dates that I know for a fact I did not even have the phone on!

There are three 17-minute calls to myself from myself during a period that I was on a plane with the phone shut completely off.

12. greggov macrumors member

yea, the whole thing seems kinda sketchy to me too. I also talk to a limited amount of people, and all of them show up correctly on my screen, they never say "unknown". I have gotten a few unknown calls, and they are always sales calls from Comcast and Verizon, and as soon I pick up (which I've stopped doing) I hear it is them and hang up, after asking them to stop calling me (still waiting for that to happen). Anyway, those calls dont go over about 45 seconds. And there have not been 35 of them either.

So I don't really buy the blocked number thing either. Maybe at&t's billing system is just screwy. Wouldn't be a first. It's not a big deal to me, yet, since I'm no where near using all my minutes. But I really hope for your sake you get that straightened out, since they charged you quite a bit.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Definitely something fishy going on then. I'm looking at my last bill and don't have this problem. Of the 1,675 calls sent/received last month, not one is a call to myself *shrug*.

14. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Is it possible that somebody cloned his sim and is making calls that way?

15. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I'd just like to say that AT&T has done it again. If you're getting billed for calls made to yourself it's clearly a system error - or God forbid a glitch with the iPhone. If it's happening to people with their phones shut off, though, it's probably something to do with AT&T. I'll tell you, even though I'm not on this horrible network I'm going to check my bills more carefully just in case. Anyway, to the OP, you should definitely look into what's happened, and I wish you the best of luck.

16. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

As interesting as the story of this thread is, how is this iPhone related again?

17. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Since reading this thread, I've been trying to check my bill to see what phone calls AT&T thinks I've made. I have to say, it's harder than hell to decipher their bill and for the life of me, I can't find a bill that actually lists my calls. AT&T has to be one of the worst websites I have ever used.

I've spent 45 minutes looking for a breakdown of the calls I made....and I'm still searching. :mad:

18. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

It's really not that hard. All you have to do is click on "View Bill Summary" on the left hand side after logging in, then all the options is there.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

and here i am having a low usage concern lol

we need to average out:p

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=588101

but seriously, call att and ask why they are charging you minutes to yourself. if anything, those should be free as its m2m right?

20. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Ok, I finally got in. It turns out that AT&T has 3 different websites where you can view your bill, but on only one of them can you view the details of your minutes (again, ridiculous website design).

I have the same thing as the OP. I have 4 calls to myself this month. They range from 8 to 15 minutes each. Since visual voice mail is data, how can I call myself?

I plan on calling AT&T, but we all know how much time that can consume, and I just wasted nearly an hour trying to navigate their stupid websites...so I may call in a little bit.

Something's definitely wrong here.

21. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I've been on the phone with Customer Care for nearly 20 minutes now. They are telling me that something is definitely wrong and they are trying to figure it out. They also seem convinced that I'm being incorrectly charged for minutes on mysterious calls to "myself".

I'm on hold right now -- will report back when I'm done.

22. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i just checked my bill for last month and dont have the calling myself issue

23. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

any incoming call that has a "BLOCKED" number will show up as a call to yourself.

24. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Ok, I just got off the phone with AT&T. It took them 45 minutes and 3 supervisors to tell me exactly what ilfn143 just said. Incoming calls that are blocked show up as your number on your phone bill. Why it doesn't just say "Blocked" instead is beyond me. Thanks AT&T for wasting an hour and a half of my life that I will never get back...

:mad: