Someone please help (my mac erased all its preferences!)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pagina Tres, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Pagina Tres macrumors newbie

The type of mac we use at our company is an iMac 7,1. There are tons of important files on it. During a routine email in mac mail it was taking a long time so I force quit mac mail. I waited a few moments and when I opened it back up mac mail was asking me to register like I had never used it before!

I saved everything and restarted the computer and when the screen came up everything had gone! All my files are still here, thank god, but nothing's in the doc, the mail is asking to be registered, the printers are asking to be registered, and spotlight won't pull up any documents that I know are sitting right in front of me. I searched for Time Machine but because this computer is a few years old I don't think it's on here; I certainly can't find it. I'm trying and failing not to panic. At the very least I need my email back up...how to restore preferences and memory?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I have a feeling the home folder was somehow renamed. Hopefully this is a valid solution for you: link

3. Pagina Tres thread starter macrumors newbie

I would have never thought of that. Wow, that was exactly the problem :) you are wonderful! Thanks (time to wipe the sweat off my brow).