Someone Please Help With Itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jw3571, Aug 7, 2010.

1. jw3571 macrumors regular

I'm a new mac user and i just moved all my music over from my pc. For some reason when i added it into itunes it added almost everything twice. I don't want to go through my whole 85gb library and delete the duplicates. Is there a way I can do this fast or is there a way I can just start from scratch on itunes? Please help

2. Flow16z macrumors newbie

I remember this happened to me when I transferred from a Pc to a Mac. In one of the File, Edit, View, etc options there is an option to view duplicates, it will show you the duplicates and unfortunately you have to go through and delete the extras :\

3. jw3571 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Relentlos macrumors member

Relentlos

Do you have iTunes copying items to the library when adding? (it's a setting in preferences).

It happened to me too, happens time to time I guess, but sucks when you drag a LOT of songs in and it does that.

What I did was deleted every song in the library. I still had the originals in the folder I kept them in (I used to organize my music all in 1 folder). From there I simply re-drag that folder in, and let it re-copy everything over again, and it did it properly that time.

If you have deleted the folder you dragged over, and have it automatically copying music to the iTunes folder, right click one of the duplicates, and select "show in finder". If the actual song in the finder is just 1 (no duplicate files), then the problem is the iTunes library file, which can be fixed in a similar way. Just physically remove all the songs from the iTunes folder in Finder, put them in a new folder temporarily. Once that is done, highlight everything in iTunes and delete, then drag that folder you put everything in into the iTunes window. It should re-add everything, create new artist/album folders, and creating a new library file.

5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I think you can go on edit or view then it says 'show duplicates' this showed you any file you have more than one of.