Someone please help with syncing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by billmister, Mar 7, 2008.

1. billmister macrumors 6502

Hello everyone, ok so i got my MacBook Pro today in the mail (i know, i know, i will show all the pics and info on my excitement later today, its 2:31am)

I was used to having 1 computer my whole life, and now i have a laptop and a home network.

Basically here is what i want to do and you guys tell me if it can be done or not and if yes, how or using what.

I managed to transfer my music itunes folder over to my MacBook Pro, my pictures so all my pictures are in my iPhoto, and use the export address thing so i can have my contact all in my new laptop.

This laptop i will use when i go out, or on vacation, and my main computer is my iMac.

You know how on the iPhone when you add a new contact, or event in iCal, or pics, when you connect it to the computer the computer asks you if you want to sync the contacts you have inputed in iPhone onto the computer? Well that is cool.

Now what can i do, so that if i update new picture events in iphoto, i can have those pictures show up in iphoto in my iMac?
    Or if i add new contacts, how can i sync my contacts with what's on my iMac?
    Or if i buy a new song on my and it's in my playlist on my iMac how can i have that available when i turn on my MacBook?

Because with my iphone, i don't want it to sync with my iMac which has 100 contacts, and then when i connect it to my macbook it will sync to zero contacts.

Is there anyway that both my computers be sync?

or do i have to just manually move things back in forth?... Because when i comes to bookmarks and stuff i know i can export bookmarks, and address contacts, etc..

BTW if this helps i have a .mac account

Thank you, i'm really tired and i have to work today 2:43am

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the video. I checked it out and kind of figured it out after a couple of tries. In the end i unregistered my 2 computers iMac and MBP. Then registered it and synced calendar, address book, widgets.

So here is my question.

On my MBP i deleted my contacts (backed up somewhere else just in case) and did the same on this computer, synced address book, widgets, calendar.

SO.... After the sync, all the contact on my imac is on my MBP (GREAT!!!!)
    My widgets also (NICE!!!!!!!!!)... ANd then i think my calendar.

So i made changes to my calendar in my MBP by deleting some calendars, and renaming some... THen i'm done... i go to the other computer (iMac) and press sync, and it starts syncing, and then i remember it gave me an icon that says some listings on ical have been something... Merge all, Keep something, blah blah.. So i click Merge all.

Then i open up ical, and nothing has changed.

Can someone help me in this?... Also what is the difference or actually what does Merge all, Keep on my iMac, Sync to server only, do? I think that's the options it gives me. Because all i want to do is.

Sync my contacts so if on my laptop, it will sync with my iMac, my calander changes will sync and widgets.

Please let me know.

Also i have it set to sync to .mac automatically.