someone recommend me a good camcorder!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by optimus prime, Jul 16, 2007.

1. optimus prime macrumors regular

2. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I would only go with a minidv camcorder. The hard drive camcorders only have a USB port and at this point it is not possible to transfer data to a mac (I believe).

Nuc

3. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

but the minidvd's wont be able to go into my macbook pro.

usb what? they cant use usb anymore? dammn

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

MiniDV (tape), not MiniDVD. Non-MiniDV (or HDV for HiDef) cameras require file transcoding before iMovie will recognize them and they typically offer inferior image quality as well.

Lethal

5. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

6. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Yes. You should be able to find one for the prices you stated. Look at reviews: Link

Good luck,

Nuc

7. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

8. YoungCreative macrumors member

YoungCreative

Definitely buy MiniDV. You will just need to buy a 4-pin to 6-pin firewire cable to transfer the video to your Mac as this is never included with the cameras. I bought a second cable just the other day for $20.

I have dealt with many video transfers and I can tell you that you would be very displeased with MiniDVD... not to mention transfer is a PAIN!

9. Caezar macrumors 6502

10. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

11. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

The Elura 100 as previously mentioned is a good choice. I would also look at the Panasonic GS250 and the GS300.

12. thedirtyduo macrumors member

13. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

I have the Canon Elura 100 and it works great! It also has a mic input which is a huge plus! I have been using it with iMovie and just bought Final Cut Express HD, but haven't gotten a chance to use it with that yet. I would recommend the Elura 100.

14. stracky macrumors member

15. Caezar macrumors 6502

I am out of luck. MiniDV camcorders are not available in Taiwan and I need to buy one within two weeks for the imminent birth of my daughter.

What is the second best option?

Why don't you guys consider DVD camcorders? Is it because small discs are not compatible with slot drives? I have an external DVD player. Will I then be able to easily transfer the films to iMovie? Or is there an incompatbility of the formats used in DVD camcorders with iMovie?

Thanks!

16. Osprey macrumors 6502

Mini DVDs are not compatible with slot loaders and also the format is incompatible as well. You might be able to convert the file to make it usable. You might want the read some valuable info at this site
    http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/06/tapeless/index.php

I have heard that it is easier to use a HDD camcorder with iMovie, but I am not familiar with any particulars.

I hope this helps you and congratulations on your upcoming "new arrival". :)

17. seany916 macrumors 6502

18. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

The statement above that HardDrive camcorders aren't mac compatible is absolutely false.

I use a JVC Everio 20 Gb HDD camcorder. I transfer my files wihout issue, convert them with MPEGStreamclip, and only had to buy the $20 quicktime mpeg2 component from apple.

I convert the files to .dv, import them to iMovie, and cut them and post them for video podcasts every week. It is a USB connection, but the file transfer is extremely fast, just like transferring from an external hard drive, and conversion happens at about 38 to 40 frames per second. So in the end, you spend the same amount of time as playing it via Firewire into iMovie from miniDV tape.

I suggest one, if you have the urge to try it. I have a how to video on my site...link in my sig. I always suggest that you take your mac laptop to the store, and try a transfer of a clip on the floor model first if at all possible, then use MPlayer for OS X (freeware) to watch it. will be a .mod file, and should work without issue or transcoding in MPlayer.

Best,

Brian