Someone recommend me a Windows computer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by piatti, Sep 17, 2011.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

Could anyone recommend me a Windows laptop that can watch 1080 Videos, can run Windows 7, and does not have loud fan noise like the MacBook and MacBook Pro? and is cheap, maybe at most $500? And also does not get out of order easily when I drop it accidentally, and has relatively cheap warranty policy?

MacBook Pro warranty was like $350 for 2 years, which is kind of expensive in my opinion. Also, if you didn't buy a warranty at the end of the first year of free warranty, can you buy warranty later? So I wanted a computer with warranty of maybe at most $100 per 2 years.

I guess I could run bootcamp or Parallels on the Windows if I really need Mac? but so far I don't think I discovered anything definitely better in a Mac, except maybe the display.

Anyway I don't like running Parallels on Mac because I can't handle the fan sound that goes along with it.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Any cheap laptop is going to be noisy. It's just part of the territory when using a laptop to watch HD movies.

3. piatti, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Alright, so only something like iMac should be used to watch HD movies? Except I don't like iMac... maybe I could use something like the Windows version of MacMini and then buy an HD screen to watch it? Is there wireless card for desktops so I can carry it around and use free internet access from random places?

If I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316283035&sr=1-2
    and this: http://www.amazon.com/Asus-EB1012P-...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316283363&sr=1-2

Maybe I can attain my desire of a good computer?

4. JerZyT28 macrumors regular

There's an hp laptop for about 600 that plays Blu rays...could check on that

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

You'd probably be better off asking on a Windows forum for Windows machine advice.

Also as miles said the computer will get noisy watching 1080p.

6. MacHamster68, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

near every netbook today can play HD 1080 video streams and nearly every is running windows7 anyway , its only a matter of the right software used then even the old msi wind u100 can play 1080p videos
    tried it and it works
    http://my.opera.com/rejzor/blog/1080p-hd-video-playback-on-any-netbook

but anything higher spec then the atom based netbooks will play nicely without software solutions like the ones based on Amd fusion APU will happy play blue rays if you connect a player and play 1080p youtube videos nicely and stay quiet

so no need for a Mac if you only want 1080p videos to work, every new build pc can do that , we live in 2011 not in 2005

just get a zotac zbox with AMD E-350 APU platform a blue ray player and you pay about the same as Apple care did cost you , and you get a whole computer instead of just the warranty and the one i had in my hands did play nicely youtube 1080p streams without a frame loss noticed sadly that zbox has the wrong port layout otherwise i would have used it for my project to make a modern computer out of a broken iMac g3 tray loader ..but zotac has other offerings too that are perfect suitable for that

7. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Wait, so you need to buy a separate bluray player for it to be quiet? that would be more expensive because http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-1-6GHz-...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316363366&sr=1-2 this cost about 300 in itself and then i would need to by HD screen http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316363500&sr=1-1 which is 150 dollars and then i guess i can just use pirated Windows 7 on it. Could I carry this together with my screen and use free wireless?

I just found this laptop: http://www.amazon.com/A53U-XE1-15-6...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316363647&sr=1-1
    It says: "The A53U-XE1 is also engineered with ASUS IceCool technology with hairline brushed aluminum to maintain a low temperature" Would this stay quiet playing 1080?

8. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

9. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

if i had the money, i would buy a bunch of laptop, test it, keep the favorite and return the rest. that would be the sure way to know whether i like it or not.

10. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

By the way, can you buy a used computer on ebay that they sell one ebay and then take it to best buy and buy warranty for it?

11. mountains macrumors regular

I don't want to say no, but I'd be very surprised if Bestbuy would do that.

12. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

no of corse not , itwas just a example because the things that can handle a blue ray player can hande HD video
    and ASUS is a wise choice when it comes to laptops , more reliable then MacBooks or any other laptop manufacturer , but if its quiet hmm who knows , it even depends on how you define quiet everything with a fan inside will make some noise , even everything with a HDD will emit noise , so to have it quiet it should be fitted with a SSD and passive cooled ..to make sure it is quiet for everyone

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

Any laptop, excepting the ruggedized models, can break if you drop it.

14. MacHamster68, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

did not read that he needs a tough laptop but i can help that one is as tough as it gets the dell E6400XFR

The E6400 is designed to weather any environment - and the Department of Defense agrees. This newest addition to Dell's XFR family meets the DOD's 810F military standards for heat, vibration, and dust. Plus, with its compression gaskets and Dell's PrimoSeal technology, the E6400 can take direct shots of pressurized water, even when it's open. and it can drop 4 feet without noticing it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIiErEDVYqw

or a bit cheaper and a bit thinner more powerful (i5) and if reliability is a feature he wants too , but not as tough
    http://www.toughbook.eu/products-and-services/business-ruggedized/cf-f9 still can drop of a table without a problem caused or spill some liquids on it without having to worry

15. kulimer macrumors 6502

I recommend Lenovo laptop, both my roommate and my statistics professor uses them. I don't know the exact model. It's around only $600, 4GB ram, 500 hard disk. Not a bad deal. ;)

16. MacinDoc, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

ASUS rated highest in "reliability" based on the number of repairs done by one agency. Problem is, most of the ASUS machines sold in the time frame examined by that study were not worth the cost the agency charged to repair them, as they were mostly inexpensive netbooks. This PC World survey uses a better methodology, IMO, and although ASUS is still highly rated, it is still second to Apple. Consumer Reports also puts Apple at the top of its reliability surveys. So yes, ASUS is probably a good choice, but not necessarily superior to other choices out there.
    That would be great, except that like buying any Mac product, this would take the OP out of the $500 budget.

17. filfortugno macrumors regular

Am i the only one that thinks this thread was created just to troll us?

18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Your not the only one.

19. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Thank you, I see the Dell looks pretty affordable http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude...5OLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316811845&sr=8-1